Intentionally out of air (at 15m)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zerbini

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Guys please read before throwing rocks.

This happened in early february 2009. I had done the OW in December and one more dive (that makes 5 dives). Then I decided to go to the sea. So I went to Arraial do Cabo (Rio de Janeiro - Brazil).

There I've done a total of 6 dives in 3 days everything according to the NAUI Tables (the dive sites were very shallow 16m max). Each day with a different boat.

On the second day, I had a divemaster as my buddy and he felt we could do more challeging dives. In the first dive (it was my eighth logged dive) we've sepparated ourselves from the group, and went to a place filled with narrow rock formations we've keeped passing through them. (I absolutely loved it!)

In the second dive he asked me if I have ever ran out of air. I told him I haven't, so he said we would make a very physical dive with the intention of burning out my air. I am a very physical person and I enjoy this tough situations, so I agreed. (NOTE: I really was OK with it I wasn't ashamed to say no or anything)

We went down, we swam a lot until the gauge showed 125bar I gave him the half-cylinder signal. He OKd it and told me to keep swimming. Around 5 minutes later we've arrived at a clearing of sand surrounded by rocks. It was by far the most beautiful dive I've done. We stayed there for a while until my gauge marked 70bar. I showed him and he signalled me to turn and swim (underwater) to the boat.

I kept a close eye on the air gauge and remmained signaling to him every 10bar drop on the marker. He OKd it and gave me the "keep close" signal. When the needle marked 40bar it became very hard to breath (we were at 15m). When it dropped to 30bars I couldn't pull any more gasp. I looked for him, and he was some 7 meters away (a bit to far I might add). I've swam towards his reserve regulator, it was clipped by a very cheap clip and it was quite hard to pull it out, I forced it and the clip broke. I breathed OK and we surfaced. At the surfaced I've filled my BC and we swan some 30 meters to the boat.

My analysis:

It was a great dive, the conditions were safe (no current; good visibility; shallow etc.) and it was a good oportunity to test me. In the time I didn't really cared. But now I'm far more experienced, am doing the DM course and I came back to this "event" and started reffering to it as a nearly miss.

I am a strong believer of training and I think we should simulate emergencies in good conditions. But about this incident there are some points that i would point out:

In the points I will write "He should..." a lot. I know that no one is responsible for you but yourself, but there was 2 guys, a young SEAL wannabe in his 8th dive and an experienced DM. I think HE SHOULD.

01) Far too Green
No matter what I had only 8 dives, I don't think the DM should have trusted so much in me.

02) Too deep
Although we were not actually DEEP, for a real out of air exercise we should be closer to the surface (5-8 meters). First because of the safety stop. Second if I tryed an emergency ascent, it would be easier and less risk.

03) Too far
He should have kept closer to me, I know he was guiding and it was my responsibility but then again, he could be more careful.

04) Those F_____ clips
The clip got stuck and I had to force it, had I been weaker it wouldn't break and I would go for his regulator. I should have tested it before but... (By the way: I don't use clips for the reserve, nor I put it in the BC pocket, it should be VERY visible and easy to pull; I think the best alternative is the default in the shoulder of the BC)

Well that's it, please comment and debate.

I would not want to dive with a DM like that...

Your training should have told you to take his primary.

I've got to say, on one hand, I'm fascinated by this, on the other I'm blown away.

You learned that due to pressure and depth you can't breath down your tank to zero.

At 15m you're still in the range for a controlled emergency swimming ascent.

It was risky from both of your points of view and possibly some poor judgment on behalf of both.

But one hell of a learning experience!

In OW the instructor shuts down your air so you know what it may feel like. It is in one of the early confined water dives.

For DM, one of the skills is OOA and CESA. My instructor shut off my air @ 30ft and I had to do a CESA. From the DM point of view this is a skill that is assessed and practiced.

It may be a bit too much too quick for a newbie.

Again, I'm going to go for a whopper of a learning experience and congrats for not totally freaking out!

BTW, did you find that as you ascend, magically air seemed to come out of your tank?

Also, if you are OOA, grab whatever air source you can. Your buddies primary or their secondary. If they aren't paying enough attention to you to donate, they'll quickly figure out what is going on.

Better, get yourself a redundant air source!

paddler3d
When I surfaced I filled my BC with cylinder air (it had magically appeared!)

I know that's a tech dive procedure, but I've never heard it on recreational.

It's not really a tech dive procedure....it's a "get whatever gas I can breathe off of" procedure. If you're struggling to grab their octo, grab what's in their mouth (as an added bonus, you can be sure that the reg is working since your buddy was just breathing off it).

Breathing off the buddies primary is also good preventative medicine.
Some people may neglect their back ups or use faulty clips (if at all) but if they know that in an OOA you are going for the primary with a kung fu death grip they might take the time to make sure the octo is "workable".

For a good low tech reg clip in a pinch, use surgical tubing to make a loop that holds the mouthpiece of the reg firmly (but releases when pulled stiffly) and slip it through itself onto your d ring.

Wow, I'm not impressed at all. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Training purposes aside,(which you weren't on) no thanks. Especially with someone I don't know. This is like going diving for sharks with a raw beef wet suit.

Did I read correcty that you are a NAVY Seal wanna be?

What your training at this point should have been telling you was to get as far away from this guy as possible. 15m, about 45' more or less, direct accent to the surface after spending how long at what depths? Didn't your instructor tell you that even if you stay with in the limits of the tables you could still take a hit? or with a dive computer.

I got to say, if it were me, I would have been looking for a diffrent boat.

You were actual okay with this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom