Intentionally out of air (at 15m)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should always know where empty is on your gauge. I recently bought a used truck; I have a can of gas in the back and will drive until running out today. All my pressure gauges get checked similarly, at least annually. Testing this at 15' does not tell you how it will happen at 45' just as turning off a valve kneeling in a 5' deep pool does not simulate running out of air at 30'.

Primary donation may only be usual in recreational OW training for divers using Air2-ish alternates.

I just posted my own out of air experience. This was a total fault of my own and an experience I will never forget. Most important to me was neither of us panicking.

:no: A DM has no business running any diver out of air at 45 feet. He has no business running anyone out of air period. If you wanted to experience the mechanical sensation of breathing down your tank, it should have been accomplished at an extra long safety stop @15 feet. If I believe one of my customers is running out at safety, they are never more than arm’s length from me. If I am sure they are going to run out of air, I also have one hand on the shoulder strap of their BC. I hold up my octo show it to them and drape it over my arm; they only need to reach for it. If this DM were working for me, he would be packing his gear and walking down the road with it dripping wet. This is typical of crappy training of a Mexican DM. I would not want to take this DM on a dive as a tourist, let alone lead me on a dive. The one lesson that you should have learned is never be more than one breath away from your dive buddy.

:idk:
Guys please read before throwing rocks.

This happened in early february 2009. I had done the OW in December and one more dive (that makes 5 dives). Then I decided to go to the sea. So I went to Arraial do Cabo (Rio de Janeiro - Brazil).

There I've done a total of 6 dives in 3 days everything according to the NAUI Tables (the dive sites were very shallow 16m max). Each day with a different boat.

On the second day, I had a divemaster as my buddy and he felt we could do more challeging dives. In the first dive (it was my eighth logged dive) we've sepparated ourselves from the group, and went to a place filled with narrow rock formations we've keeped passing through them. (I absolutely loved it!)

In the second dive he asked me if I have ever ran out of air. I told him I haven't, so he said we would make a very physical dive with the intention of burning out my air. I am a very physical person and I enjoy this tough situations, so I agreed. (NOTE: I really was OK with it I wasn't ashamed to say no or anything)

We went down, we swam a lot until the gauge showed 125bar I gave him the half-cylinder signal. He OKd it and told me to keep swimming. Around 5 minutes later we've arrived at a clearing of sand surrounded by rocks. It was by far the most beautiful dive I've done. We stayed there for a while until my gauge marked 70bar. I showed him and he signalled me to turn and swim (underwater) to the boat.

I kept a close eye on the air gauge and remmained signaling to him every 10bar drop on the marker. He OKd it and gave me the "keep close" signal. When the needle marked 40bar it became very hard to breath (we were at 15m). When it dropped to 30bars I couldn't pull any more gasp. I looked for him, and he was some 7 meters away (a bit to far I might add). I've swam towards his reserve regulator, it was clipped by a very cheap clip and it was quite hard to pull it out, I forced it and the clip broke. I breathed OK and we surfaced. At the surfaced I've filled my BC and we swan some 30 meters to the boat.

My analysis:

It was a great dive, the conditions were safe (no current; good visibility; shallow etc.) and it was a good oportunity to test me. In the time I didn't really cared. But now I'm far more experienced, am doing the DM course and I came back to this "event" and started reffering to it as a nearly miss.

I am a strong believer of training and I think we should simulate emergencies in good conditions. But about this incident there are some points that i would point out:

In the points I will write "He should..." a lot. I know that no one is responsible for you but yourself, but there was 2 guys, a young SEAL wannabe in his 8th dive and an experienced DM. I think HE SHOULD.

01) Far too Green
No matter what I had only 8 dives, I don't think the DM should have trusted so much in me.

02) Too deep
Although we were not actually DEEP, for a real out of air exercise we should be closer to the surface (5-8 meters). First because of the safety stop. Second if I tryed an emergency ascent, it would be easier and less risk.

03) Too far
He should have kept closer to me, I know he was guiding and it was my responsibility but then again, he could be more careful.

04) Those F_____ clips
The clip got stuck and I had to force it, had I been weaker it wouldn't break and I would go for his regulator. I should have tested it before but... (By the way: I don't use clips for the reserve, nor I put it in the BC pocket, it should be VERY visible and easy to pull; I think the best alternative is the default in the shoulder of the BC)

Well that's it, please comment and debate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom