Interest in Madison Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was speaking to the Ranger today at Madison and she wants to try and make the park more diver friendly. She wants to get suggestions and set up a diver sleep out at the park. Before she goes to far she want to make sure there would be a big enough interest from the cave diving community.
I'm asking for help from the Divers here and now in this forum.

What she wants suggestions / ideas as to how to make it better for us.

How many would like to have a get together at the park ,maybe with a cook out ( NACD,NSS/CDS, NFSA)

Most divers I talk with say they like diving there. But don't like the restictions of the number of divers allowed. They need to know want would be a good number. Using both Martz and the main entrance.

As many know I placed a trash bucket in the basin and it has been a success
There is less and less glass and trash there.

We need to expess via the forums if there is interest. They will be monitoring the sites.

You guys at the NFSA NACD NSS/CDS can be a great help if you participate.
This site is a great site for training.

Pass it on and get involved.

I would ask to make this thread sticky.

Fred

I like the idea in a way but I like the restriction on the number of teams allowed. If they want it more diver friendly have a dedicated set of steps for us. Hard to fight the crowds there in the summer.

I like the limited number of teams as well. Fewer people means less traffic and less cave damage.

I'm up for a camp out though.

Suggestions on improvements? Something less aggressive as railroad ties as steps down to the water.

yeah those steps are a little ridiculous, if we were to camp could we dive at night?

I like the limited number of teams as well. Fewer people means less traffic and less cave damage.

Suggestions on improvements? Something less aggressive as railroad ties as steps down to the water.

Yeah...those railroad ties are pretty tricky. I was kind of amazed I didn't manage to sprain an ankle getting up and down those "stairs".

I like that idea of a camp out.

Have you ever driven 1 - 2 hours - your dive buddy also drives 1-2 hours - only to be turned away because either the head count or the team count has been reached? Even calling ahead does not really help as things may change soon after the ranger tells you its wide open - "right now".
So then what to do...."lets go to Peacock!" (almost an hour away)
That option may soon disappear as counting could be implemented there also.
I understand the reasons favoring head/team counting but some day we may be driving from Park to Park hoping to dive ... Oh well, there's always Ginnie!

Have you ever driven 1 - 2 hours - your dive buddy also drives 1-2 hours - only to be turned away because either the head count or the team count has been reached? Even calling ahead does not really help as things may change soon after the ranger tells you its wide open - "right now".
I understand the reasons favoring head/team counting but some day we may be driving from Park to Park hoping to dive ... Oh well, there's always Ginnie!

Yeah I know but I still think that limiting is the lessor of the two evils. My plan would have contingencies there. Your slap dad in the middle of cave country so move to plan B.

Here's a worse idea, imagine Madison having the same amont of teams in it at once that Ginnie or Peacock has had in it at once in the past.

Want to get in? Show up early, like when it opens.

Have you been turned away at Madison? When?

Peacock does have a carrying capacity,as do all state parks. A few years ago we worked with park management at Peacock to change the way carrying capacity was looked at and calculated,so now it is still in effect,but you never notice it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom