Interesting...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression

Instructor...seriously...
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Interesting, but not conclusive.

On the same day/time as the 1991 incident water reportedly flowed backwards as far north and west as Whiskey Still Sink which is connected hydrologically to Indian via isotope trace studies (Wisenbaker, NSS News, Oct 1992). This suggests that whatever happened that day was upstream of Whiskey Still.

A localized rock collapse or sandslide at Indian can't really account for that.

Interesting, but not conclusive.

On the same day/time as the 1991 incident water reportedly flowed backwards as far north and west as Whiskey Still Sink which is connected hydrologically to Indian via isotope trace studies (Wisenbaker, NSS News, Oct 1992). This suggests that whatever happened that day was upstream of Whiskey Still.

A localized rock collapse or sandslide at Indian can't really account for that.

Wonder if an event at Whisky Still caused a change in water movement to be a trigger?

When a new map was done for Indian, bringing it to a higher grade, I did some of the survey work. One thing I did was a 3C grade of the cavern to the restriction with a lot of increment measures down the slope. So at this level you are pulling a lot of tape in all directions, and see things that you frequently pass by. My buddy who was doing the ceiling measures in the cavern remarked afterward where the quality of limestone,mixed with other sediment didn't give him a good feeling because it is so "crumbly". Also, one thing that you'll notice is how relatively unstable the slope is, with avalanches of sand/silt combination that will slide downward,which is one of the reasons I leave my 50/50 bottle on the little rock outcropping around 80+ feet. A friend that was a long time cave diver contacted me and asked me to take him to Indian because he hadn't dove the site since the Parker Turner incident. For most of us when we exit the restriction the floor is fairly level with the restriction (approx.4 ft floor to ceiling), and it gradually slopes downward the further you progress into the Mud tunnel,such that there is probably a 20ft difference between ceiling and floor. After the dive he was shocked because he told me that previous to the incident there was no gradual sloping of the floor in the Mud tunnel,but a rapid drop off. This tells me there must have been a lot of debris that backslid into the cave. The question I have always wondered,was it the ceiling which looks unstable, or the floor with similar characteristics.

The limestone in the shallow bits of the WKP is super crumbly and black. That's a universal thing when the cave is shallower than ~60ft. You can really see the change when going upstream from Venture. It transitions into that denser, white limestone as the cave drops to that 110' section coming up to Clearcut. I drop my 50% bottle at 80ft, too.

IIRC, Jenkins and his group reported a sandslide at Wakulla and maybe one at Indian (not sure about that). So the sandslides *do* happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom