Interestng Orca experience today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I work on a military underwater test range on a boat that patrols that range mostly to keep civilian boaters from running into danger.

This morning we got a call that a pod of orcas were seen on the range and we were to go out and locate their position and path. We soon saw the splashing and spray so it was obvious there were quite a number of them. We maintained a safe distance since it is illegal to approach closer than 100m. They soon disappeared as we approached and we assumed they had moved on. After about 5 minutes we saw something moving slowly in the water.We approached it and saw it was a very dazed and tired Steller Sea Lion. When it saw us he made a bee-line for our boat and basically layed alongside the hull. We shut down the engines and drifted with our new best friend trying desparately to catch it's breath. Moments later the pod reappeared behind us searching for their prey. They were afraid to approach the boat too closely (thankfully) and instead circled our position looking for a way to get on with breakfast. Our terrified buddy stuck to us like glue. The range control officer contacted department of fisheries who dispached a boat to observe the pod. We sat with the sea lion hugging the side of our boat for about 45 minutes all the while a pod of whales circled trying to figure out how to approach.
When the fisheries vessel arrived they asked us to move away and let the orcas finish their business. The poor sea lion kept pace with us at 10 knots so we had to put the hammer down to get away. Shortly after the orcas moved in and we watched as the larger whales flipped the sea lion around like a hacky sack. The smaller whales slapped the sea lion with their tail.
It was an impressive display of nature but I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor sea lion.
I guess as a diver I have an affinity for those creatures we interact with in the water.

Last edited:
That's a great story, but I'd like to hear the end of it . . . Did your friend get away from his hunters in the end?

That's a great story, but I'd like to hear the end of it . . . Did your friend get away from his hunters in the end?
I don't think so. He was about a half mile from an island that other sea lions had taken refuge on but that's a long swim when a pod of orcas have you on the menu. I just couldn't believe how much time they spent playing with the poor thing.

This reminded me of a show/clip I watched one night of a group of Orca's working together to get a seal off a small piece of ice.. I was able to locate the video on You Tube...

YouTube - Orcas Attack Seal

This is just part of the clip...the good thing is the little guy does manage to get away from the Orcas....

Would that be the Whiskey Golf area? Just curious since I didn't think Orca spent much time in that part of the Strait and preferred the northern part of the island.

I hope you were in a good sized boat. I wouldn't feel too comfortable in a rubber zodiac in that situation. Great story.

Great story!! it is nature at work. yah. too bad for the sea lion.

Yes we work area WG which for those who don't know is the area of Georgia Straight just north of Nanaimo.
We have fairly frequent whale and dolphin sightings here. When they come though we have to suspend operations until they clear the range. Unlike people we are not allowed to shoo them off:D

Would that be the Whiskey Golf area? Just curious since I didn't think Orca spent much time in that part of the Strait and preferred the northern part of the island.

I hope you were in a good sized boat. I wouldn't feel too comfortable in a rubber zodiac in that situation. Great story.

Mother Nature's a bitch sometimes, eh! :)

Great story. As much as I'd love to see something like that, I too would feel sorry for the sea lion.

Hard to believe, in this day and age, none of the crew had a video camera phone. Bummer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom