Intermediate East Coast Dive Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krunin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey this is my first post here, but I was just looking for some help. Im 17 and have been certified for 5 years, but don't usually get to dive many times each year since I live in Vermont. Im a beginner to intermediate diver but I have done some deep dives on the Vandenberg in Key West. Im looking for a good place to go diving within driving distance of Vermont this summer and I am just looking for some suggestions.

Welcome!

With gas prices climbing, "driving distance" may be shrinking for many of us....

Not limited to "East Coast", here are some suggestions:

Lake Champlain has some excellent diving, fairly close to you perhaps.

In New York, Lake George's northern end can be very interesting with some steep, rocky drop-offs with significant depths, if you like. Accessible from Rogers Rock State Park area.

The Connecticut River has numerous access points that could provide a different experience with more challenges probably. The Brattleboro/Hinsdale Bridge comes to mind.

Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and other smaller New Hampshire lakes....

Cape Ann, MA, has numerous shore dives. Does spearing flounder appeal to you?

Any particular interests? Narrow it down a little.... :D

Dave C

If you have the gear and like wreck diving there are numerous wrecks to dive, with boats leaving the docks daily in places like MA, NY, NJ down to NC. There are some great freshwater spots already listed plus Canada has some great cold water diving I am dieing to try one of these years. I would suggest you pick a destination you can and are interested in driving to and work things out from there. Posting in this thread or the local forum of the area you are going to will yield more results than you could dive in a long weekend I reckon...

Rhode Island has some nice shore dives in Newport and Jamestown. They also have wrecks of the coast. Do a search and talk to some local dive operators. I dive there every year.

Thanks for all the help. I have done most of my diving in lake champlain but am looking for intermediate ocean dives. Im going to look into rhode island and cape ann dive operators

Thanks for all the help. I have done most of my diving in lake champlain but am looking for intermediate ocean dives. Im going to look into rhode island and cape ann dive operators

Could you define an "intermediate" dive?

Cape Ann Divers, out of Gloucester, has well-run charters that go to some wrecks with conditions and depths that you might consider suitable to your experience level:

Welcome to Cape Ann Divers! cape ann divers, cape ann diving, boston diving, scuba boston, massachusetts diving, scuba massachusetts, new england scuba diving, scuba new england, north eastern usa scuba diving, scuba resorts usa, boston dive boat div

My favorite charter is Fran Marcoux' Daybreaker, also out of Gloucester:

Cape Ann Charters, Inc.

Get on his email list for updates on his charter schedule. Some of his trips are to pinnacles and islands that have quite a bit of marine life and rock formations, some with dramatic drop-offs to 100' of water (Halfway Rock).

Diving with seals at the Isles of Shoals on Capt. Bill's 45-foot Lady Patricia is another favorite of mine:

Deep Sea Fishing Charters from New Hampshire

Here's my dive report on one of his seal dive trips:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...al-dive-report-isles-shoals-sun-8-3-08-a.html

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom