Internal Flash Cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swordfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you use a strobe, you need to cover your camera's internal flash (if your housing doesn't have a bulk head and the strobe is triggered by the built-in flash).

What I did was cut out the case of a DVD case, and turn it into a cover. I cut out small strips of velcro and stick these on the cut out plastic and on the housing. The cover is retained by a thread connected to the housing.

This way, I can still use the internal flash by just removing the cover in case my strobe runs out of power or when I might want to do TTL with macro shots (I use an Ikelite manual controller).

The picture below will give you an idea.

Swordfish:
If you use a strobe, you need to cover your camera's internal flash (if your housing doesn't have a bulk head and the strobe is triggered by the built-in flash).

What I did was cut out the case of a DVD case, and turn it into a cover. I cut out small strips of velcro and stick these on the cut out plastic and on the housing. The cover is retained by a thread connected to the housing.

This way, I can still use the internal flash by just removing the cover in case my strobe runs out of power or when I might want to do TTL with macro shots (I use an Ikelite manual controller).

The picture below will give you an idea.
Hmm, anybody got any feed back on this ? I wasn't aware that you had to do this. I guess it is the same pricipal that I used to use on the Ikelite housing w/ disposables. George

Scuba-Rican:
Hmm, anybody got any feed back on this ? I wasn't aware that you had to do this. I guess it is the same pricipal that I used to use on the Ikelite housing w/ disposables. George
The Inon D-180 optical cord comes with special pieces to stick over the internal flash that stop visible light - it uses the non visible light to trigger the strobe. At least that what the book says!!:eyebrow: Me - I just do it cause it tells me to !!!

Me, too...and it works very well! My only complaint with the system is it blocks the internal flash at the camera. If, for whatever reason, my strobe dies on me and I want more light than the manual white balace technique allows, then I'm sunk. With the S&S YS90DX that masks the flash with the velcro patch outside the housing, if I needed the internal flash, all I had to do was remove the velcro and keep going.

I too used a DVD case to make a cover. But I just traced the existing diffuser and slip the new black part into the diffuser holder. It blocks out the light oging forward, but throws enough upward to trigger the strobe.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom