Internal Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was recently diving in the waters around Cozumel. I have my AOW cert. and have logged about 80 dives, all OW. On my second day of diving, the dive guide was briefing the group for a wreck dive at 100'; the plan was to enter the wreck. I declined to do the dive since I have never done any enclosed space diving. My question is, how does one gain experience diving enclosed spaces? Are there specific courses offered? Thanks.

Ed

Well done... you have displayed excellent risk management, in my opinion.

Yes, there are wreck penetration courses as well as cavern and cave classes.

I'll refrain from addressing the wreck penetration part of the question since that's not part of my world, but I would like to ask what wreck it was in Cozumel? I didn't know there were ANY wrecks that the Coz dive ops normally visit.

There is one wreck in Cozumel, and almost every dive op goes there. It's the C-53 (AKA the Felipe Xicotencatl), and it is pretty cut up to allow for DMs to lead groups of unqualified divers into an overhead environment. Fairly common practice, from what I recall.

[VIMEO]58229123[/VIMEO]

What you SHOULD do is to take one of Doppler's wreck class and learn how to penetrate a wreck safely.

:)

Last edited:
Kudos for staying within your comfort & training limits.

I second taking a good wreck class. There are plenty of great instructors here on SB, including my friend Doppler.

As for that wreck in Cozumel, most of the dive is in the 80ish- 90 somethingish range as I recall. It has been sanitized for the average recreational diver. There is plenty to see around the outside and looking in without swimming through it. It does have alot of swim through spaces, essentially minimal overhead with plenty of wide open daylight space and large exits. If you are remotely wreck curious, this is a great wreck to dive with a knowledgeable guide as an intro.

My computer's data from the C53 showed a max depth of 72fsw...and we went all the way through. Yes I am trained, and no we did not do it "correctly" (single tanks, out of the light zone, no lines, etc).

You made a good decision.

Good call in passing on the dive.

There are some good wreck courses out there, but they are typically produced by a specific instructor instead of by an agency. This means that, if Instructors 'A' and 'B' both teach through the same agency, then 'A' could very well offer the best wreck course in the world while instructor 'B' could be doing little more than taking your money.

Although there are some hazards present in a wreck that are not present inside a cave, I'd encourage you to look into a Cavern class in order to gain a better understanding of what it takes to dive in the overhead safely.

Before cavern, it's really a good idea to hone your fundamental skills (anti-silt kicking, advanced trim & buoyancy control) in a solid 'intro to technical diving' course. The name of the course - and the thoroughness - will tend to vary by agency.

I expect that you'll find those courses to be a lot of fun! After taking them, you'll also have a better idea whether or not wreck penetration is something you want to pursue.

That looks like a sedentary and sanitized "wreck" dive. I dive a lot of the older WWII fleet wrecks and you do have to keep your wits about yourself.

70 years underwater, the structural integrity of these ships are becoming questionable. You gotta work thru the 'what if's' and assess the risks.

My rule of thumb is if i cant see blue or a clear exit, i dont go in.....i might stick my head in and nose around with my dive light, but thats the extent of it.

You can get in a lot of trouble if you do penetrate and end up in a silt out situation, especially with new divers. I have never taken a wreck diving course, just OJT and common sense.

Good choice not penetrating if you didnt feel comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom