Internet purchase of Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Quick question:

If you purchase a tank over the internet, does it typically have recent servicing? For example, if I bought this tank from LeisurePro?

Thanks.

David

Dive Gear Express comes sealed with valve in and a current visual inspection sticker. But it is empty, so your local shop might insist on an inspection.

I've not purchased a tank over the internet, but note that in their product description LeisurePro sates the following:
"When shipped the tanks valves will be removed and the tank will require re-inspection before being filled."

I presume that you'll need to get the cylinder re-inspected and have a VIP sticker attached prior to filling at your local dive shop or fill facility.

If you intend to use the bottle as an O2 stage tank, you'll also need it to be oxygen clean and affix the appropriate label prior to filling.

Some shops will not fill a zero pressure tank. Some will fill it without even looking at the pressure. If you happen to have a shop that does check and will not fill, you will be well served buying a transfill whip. I love mine. :)

Dive Gear Express comes sealed with valve in and a current visual inspection sticker. But it is empty, so your local shop might insist on an inspection.

The shop I asked to fill my new DGX tank, Divers Supply in Marietta, GA, didn't give much weight to the DGX sticker that came with the tank and made me authorize a visual inspection.

here the shipping companies don't transport tanks which are under pressure so they are normally shipped with zero pressure but the valve already installed. Doubles may be shipped without the valve on depending on where you buy them from.

VIP is not required here by law and no one does that unless when purchasing an used tank and wanting to make sure it is not rusty inside. here the tanks go to hydro for every ten years and that's basically it unless one knows there is something wrong with it like water inside etc.
Burst disks are not required here either and no one uses them. I personally own an old 1980's tank with the original valve and that has burst disk but no one uses them here on new tanks, even that old one is probably imported stuff because the other 1980's or older tanks generally don't have them.

Here the fill places will definitely complain if you bring them an empty tank which you want to be filled. They will normally want to take the valve off to make sure there is no water inside unless it's in factory box or something. and they want to check that the valve is tightened correctly so it does not blow up on first fill. they generally tend not to charge anything for that service though.
I personally like to use a transfer whip on new tanks to transfer some pressure from other tanks at home before taking the new tank for filling. No questions asked when it has at least 15 or 20 bar in it :popcorn:

Some store will not fill a tank if its empty as others have said. If you have a buddy, see if you can transfill the empty tank then go in a fill it.

The shop I asked to fill my new DGX tank, Divers Supply in Marietta, GA, didn't give much weight to the DGX sticker that came with the tank and made me authorize a visual inspection.

Was it because of the wording, or because it was empty?

Because as far as I can tell they do inspect the tanks before slapping that sticker on it, a normal pick up at DGX takes at most 30 minutes after placing before it is ready for pick up, but an order with a tank takes a couple of hours.

Was it because of the wording, or because it was empty?

Because as far as I can tell they do inspect the tanks before slapping that sticker on it, a normal pick up at DGX takes at most 30 minutes after placing before it is ready for pick up, but an order with a tank takes a couple of hours.

I don't know. It was before I got wise about the transfilling trick.

Back
Top Bottom