Internet purchase of Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the response. Incidentally, I was leaning towards the LDS route from the beginning, but wanted some insight for my own edification. The ALU 50 is just to have a lighter tank to lug for pool training while I'm currently having some back problems.
Just a quick note on using an AL50 - if readjusting the cam band on your BCD is either difficult, or annoying, or both, be aware that cylinder has a smaller diameter than a "standard" AL80. Maybe you already know that, but just in case.

Visual inspection of a new tank: I agree that in my experience, they new cylinder's big wordy label includes a "fine print" statement that it has been visually inspected. Which is all well and good, but when I sell a customer a new cylinder I do another VIP anyway, no added charge, for the following reasons:
  1. There is almost sure to be less than 12 months remaining since the original hydro/inspection date, and I do not want them to be inconvenienced by having to return "early" for the next VIP.
  2. I can't predict how another fill station operator will treat that fine print original sticker that is solely a VIP sticker, and I again don't want my customer inconvenienced, or even blaming me for the problem.
  3. In the very unlikely chance that there is a manufacturing flaw in the new cylinder, I want to know right away and get it returned/replaced right away, rather than waiting a year or more to even start the conversation with the manufacturer.
So decide for yourself how you weigh those possibilities against the relatively small inconvenience and cost of a "fresh" VIP to start out.
If someone brought me a new cylinder with an installed valve, no pressure, and a retailer's VIP sticker, then once I am assured it was a new purchase I would probably just want to look inside to be sure there was no water/moisture and then reinstall the valve and go ahead and fill. But do NOT expect it to be the norm that an LDS provides a "no charge" first VIP on your purchase from another source.

Buying from LDS or internet has several factors, with price just one. Yet I'm confused by the VIP sticker issue you suggest. Bolding below mine.

Visual inspection of a new tank: I agree that in my experience, they new cylinder's big wordy label includes a "fine print" statement that it has been visually inspected. Which is all well and good, but when I sell a customer a new cylinder I do another VIP anyway, no added charge, for the following reasons:
  1. ...
  2. I can't predict how another fill station operator will treat that fine print original sticker that is solely a VIP sticker, and I again don't want my customer inconvenienced, or even blaming me for the problem.
  3. In the very unlikely chance that there is a manufacturing flaw in the new cylinder, I want to know right away and get it returned/replaced right away, rather than waiting a year or more to even start the conversation with the manufacturer.
So decide for yourself how you weigh those possibilities against the relatively small inconvenience and cost of a "fresh" VIP to start out.

The fill operator is checking for current hydro and VIP sticker. You say the fine print original sticker is solely a VIP sticker. Are you replacing it with something that is not solely a VIP sticker?

This is the original sticker that came on my tank. That it was visually inspected is not fine print.
IMG_0512.jpg

Buying from LDS or internet has several factors, with price just one. Yet I'm confused by the VIP sticker issue you suggest. Bolding below mine.

The fill operator is checking for current hydro and VIP sticker. You say the fine print original sticker is solely a VIP sticker. Are you replacing it with something that is not solely a VIP sticker?

This is the original sticker that came with my tank. That it was visually inspected is not fine print.
View attachment 501428
That is not an original manufacturer's sticker applied at the factory. That was applied by Dive Gear Express, the retailer who bought the tank from the manufacturer/distributor and then sold it to you. So at this point, there have been TWO inspections done to date. DGE may have also done an O2 cleaning before shipping. I can't speak for all brands, but the Luxfer website specifically says that they do NOT ship O2 clean, and have not done so for several years.

A little more try 20-30% more for steel tanks. The same Faber that I an buy at DGX for $330 is $400 at my local shops.

Have you tried haggling? my LDS is more expensive than DGX also, but they will make up the difference in fill cards if you ask. of course they also once ran a wacky promotion where you got equal credit for fills to what you spent on new tanks.

That is not an original manufacturer's sticker applied at the factory. That was applied by Dive Gear Express, the retailer who bought the tank from the manufacturer/distributor and then sold it to you. So at this point, there have been TWO inspections done to date. DGE may have also done an O2 cleaning before shipping. I can't speak for all brands, but the Luxfer website specifically says that they do NOT ship O2 clean, and have not done so for several years.
I just looked closer at that label, and see that they are not personally vouching for the O2 clean status, they say it is "according to our suppliers." So if that label is placed on a Luxfer cylinder without being cleaned by DGE, it would be claiming the opposite of what the Luxfer website says. Again, I don't know about "O2 clean status when shipped" for other manufacturers.

That is not an original manufacturer's sticker applied at the factory. That was applied by Dive Gear Express, the retailer who bought the tank from the manufacturer/distributor and then sold it to you. So at this point, there have been TWO inspections done to date.
Ah. Thanks. I was starting to realize you were talking about a sticker that came from your supplier.

Yet most end consumers would not be getting whatever fine print sticker your supplier provides. They would be getting the e-retailer's sticker, such as above.

Ah. Thanks. I was starting to realize you were talking about a sticker that came from your supplier.

Yet most end consumers would not be getting whatever fine print sticker your supplier provides. They would be getting the e-retailer's sticker, such as above.
Maybe, maybe not. I have not done a survey of all online sources for cylinder purchases to know if absolutely everyone does their own inspection before shipping, or if any just box and ship a tank from inventory. I would certainly not assume an added inspection unless I can confirm otherwise.

Also, I was clarifying what was referred to in this post regarding ANY new tank, not a specific tank from a specific source.
oh this will get good...
technically, it doesn't need a sticker in the first year of life.... :popcorn:

That being said, their compressor, their rules....

YMMV

Have you tried haggling? my LDS is more expensive than DGX also, but they will make up the difference in fill cards if you ask. of course they also once ran a wacky promotion where you got equal credit for fills to what you spent on new tanks.
My LDS does that all of the time as a standard practice. 6 of my 8 tanks were bought there, and in each case I received fill cards for the value of what I spent on the tanks. Even better, they are good for either air or banked 32%, for which they charge the same.

Back
Top Bottom