Intova 3W LED Dive Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny; my Intova compares very favorably to my UK Q40 eLED Plus. It's noticeably brighter and with a more even beam pattern. It's almost like I can see the square shape of the LED in the UK beam.

Henrik

Are you sure you have a q40 e led plus? I've only seen the plus (heat sink) in the c8.....

Carddog: this is the light I have:

Underwater Kinetics Mini Q40 eLED Plus Dive Light from LeisurePro.com

No heatsink in the lens.

I gave opening my Intova a pretty good shot. The newer lights are apparently glued shut. I tried strap wrenches, heat etc. but no luck. I didn't go too crazy with the heat, since I didn't want to fry the electronics.

Henrik

Hey,

New to the board and diving. Looking into purchasing primary light and was thinking about Intova wide for now. I was looking at different places to purchase this including ebay, and then I stumbled across this:

Now I am confused about 2 things here. 1st and most obvious is the fact that they are claiming that the torch has 225 lumens and is LED bulb. Looking at countless sites, including intova official site, I only found 70 and 130 lumens. I never saw 225 lumens version.

2nd thing is the depth. Again the site claims 300 meters water resistance, but so far I only found 120 meters max.

Am i missing something here? Pictures that are posted in the listing seem like LED's and not xenon bulbs.

Thanks!

All of Intova lights are rated at 120meters and the light list on ebay seems to match the 70 lumen Intova rating not 225 claimed.

I carry two of the wide angle versions 130 lumens as backup and am very happy with them.
As a primary, I'm currently playing with a Noctunal SLX Nocturnal Lights - Manufacturer Dive Lights, Underwater Focus Lights, and Underwater Video Lights for regular and technical divers, underwater photographers, and underwater film makers
It has good output and nice form factor for the price.

LED lights have come a long way and well worth considering.

Has anyone considered trying an SSC-P7?. Or something capable of more than 250lumens.

Actually i've seen the exact same torch on ebay sayings its 225 Lumens, its from Hong Kong so i'm a bit reluctant to believe something that is normally 65lumens is suddenly 255lumens

Last edited:
Has anyone considered trying an SSC-P7?. Or something capable of more than 250lumens.

Actually i've seen the exact same torch on ebay sayings its 225 Lumens, its from Hong Kong so i'm a bit reluctant to believe something that is normally 65lumens is suddenly 255lumens

Check my post 2 above yours. I believe you are talking about the same torch. Lumens are not correct on the ebay site. It's the 70 lumens version

I just retired my Intova because it would get switched on accidentally and go through a $10 set of lithium batteries in an hour or two. As a tactical light it might be OK, but as a dive light it is worthless.

My Intova light switch is actually a little hard to turn off or on.

I did a lot of google searching and hit a ton of web sites that sell the lights. I found that there are a couple different models of the light and some sites seem to be confused which model they offer. Be very careful when buying one. The older models are only 3 watts and rated for 70 lumens while the new ones are 4.7 watts with a Cree bulb and rated for 130 lumens.

There is also a wide angle version and a concentrated beam version.

So far, I like mine which is the 4.7 watt concentrated beam light.

I would love one just like it with even more power.

A little info on what Intova "claims"

1st Cree do not make a 4.7watt LED. Sure you could run a Cree at 4.7watt but it will not last 50,000 hours. From what I understand Cree does not recommend running them at more than 3 watt (750ma x 3.7Vf)
Also running it at 4.7watt a Cree XRE LED should produce a lot more than 130 Lumen. In fact it should produce more than 225 lumen.
It will not how ever run for 6 hours on 2 CR123's. 2 hours tops is what I calculate it at.

I have borrowed someone else's Intova. I cant comment on the lumen out put but I did measure the current draw and worked out the wattage of the LED and driver to be less than 3 watts. Thats a lot less than the claimed 4.7watt.

I found the light quite well built with a very even wide beam of light.
For me the beam was way to wide and far too dull. I wouldnt waste my $$ on one unless I wanted to use it as a focusing light for a camera set up.

Conclusion

Wattage of any dive light means very little as far as how bright a light will be. It means a hell of a lot less when the manufacture makes false claims.

Yes I have..

Problem is you need a big reflector do get a decent beam pattern from the P7. You also need a decent sized battery pack to run a P7 for a reasonable amount of time. I tried running one off a 18650 Li Ion power dive light and found that either I couldnt get enough current to it or it wouldnt run for long enough. I did find a much better solution in a Cree Q5 with a tight aspheric lens.

Back
Top Bottom