Intraocular pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I read through a very old review document (1995) by F.K. Butler that was helpful.
My ophthalmologist is clueless. We decide this afternoon whether to do it or not....but I do not want to stop diving! 3 months is fine for post-op, but permanently? However, the choice seems to be blindness....
Frank Butler is awesome.

I'm sure you and your ophthalmologist will come to a conclusion that's best for you. Hoping the conversation goes well.

Best regards,
DDM

Hello there! I was recently diagnosed with "Narrow-Angle Glaucoma" four months ago. I have a trip to Mexico scheduled in three weeks, and I'm wondering if I can continue diving. However, after researching, I came across an article on Diving Medicine in Clinical Practice. According to the article, well-controlled open-angle glaucoma without optic nerve dysfunction is not a contraindication to diving, but individuals with untreated narrow-angle glaucoma must avoid diving. This information has made me quite worried. Can someone help me with updated information? Before seeing this article, I spoke to an ophthalmologist in Boston (MassEye), who said it is fine to scuba. And I also found this article: A deep dive into hyperbaric environments and intraocular pressure—a systematic review
Thanks!

Masseye has some of the best ophthalmologist in the world. They know your specific case and eye exam better than anyone on this site. If they say it is fine, I would trust them.

Hello there! I was recently diagnosed with "Narrow-Angle Glaucoma" four months ago. I have a trip to Mexico scheduled in three weeks, and I'm wondering if I can continue diving. However, after researching, I came across an article on Diving Medicine in Clinical Practice. According to the article, well-controlled open-angle glaucoma without optic nerve dysfunction is not a contraindication to diving, but individuals with untreated narrow-angle glaucoma must avoid diving. This information has made me quite worried. Can someone help me with updated information? Before seeing this article, I spoke to an ophthalmologist in Boston (MassEye), who said it is fine to scuba. And I also found this article: A deep dive into hyperbaric environments and intraocular pressure—a systematic review
Thanks!
This information is a bit dated but here's a link to the paper cited previously.

I think the operative word is untreated. I would generally defer to a provider who has examined you in person, and would inquire as to whether that provider is aware of the potential for high differential pressure should you not equalize the air space in your face mask.

Best regards,
DDM

I got a XEN stent implant a year ago for open-angle glaucoma in my left eye; been on multiple dive trips since, with no issues. Doc is very pleased with the stent performance.
I get one in my right eye in two weeks; hoping for similar results.

This information is a bit dated but here's a link to the paper cited previously.

I think the operative word is untreated. I would generally defer to a provider who has examined you in person, and would inquire as to whether that provider is aware of the potential for high differential pressure should you not equalize the air space in your face mask.

Best regards,
DDM

Certainly. It appears that the crucial term is "untreated," and my condition is untreated. I intend to undergo surgery after my trip to Mexico. Do you have access to the article that you provided? I am unable to reach it at the moment. Furthermore, I came across a recent meta-analysis from 2024 that suggests there is no link between narrow-angle glaucoma and intraocular pressure (IOP): A deep dive into hyperbaric environments and intraocular pressure—a systematic review

I am so sad! I was enjoying so much scuba!! and probably I can not practice it any longer

Certainly. It appears that the crucial term is "untreated," and my condition is untreated. I intend to undergo surgery after my trip to Mexico. Do you have access to the article that you provided? I am unable to reach it at the moment. Furthermore, I came across a recent meta-analysis from 2024 that suggests there is no link between narrow-angle glaucoma and intraocular pressure (IOP): A deep dive into hyperbaric environments and intraocular pressure—a systematic review

I am so sad! I was enjoying so much scuba!! and probably I can not practice it any longer
Sorry, try this link.

What makes you say that you can't dive any more? I'm sorry if you got that message from my post. What I meant was, if an ophthalmologist who has examined you in person has said you're fine to dive, then you probably are. You may just want to ensure that she/he is aware of the possibility of a pressure differential in the mask if you don't equalize it appropriately. The risk of that is generally low but it is possible.

Best regards,
DDM

Is there not some kind of automagic pressure-equalizing, already-certified SCUBA full face mask that could reduce or eliminate these concerns?
That's a good thought. They can get a bit pricey and require additional training but depending on the type it could reduce the risk quite a bit.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom