Intro to Cave versus Full Cave - access to sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the end it takes the same amount of training to get there, but you can go straight through Cavern, Intro and Full Cave in one long 8 day course. In addition to their individual classroom portions, Cavern is 4 dives (2 days), Intro is 4 more dives (2 more days) and Full Cave is another 8 dives (4 days) - 16 dives and 8 really long days total.

Way back in the day the Cave course was 21 dives - usually over a period of a few weeks to a few months. The separate course approach is in comparison the "new" way to do it. This approach offers fewer total training dives but (usually) a diver picks up several dives between courses where the diver can gain experience and practice the skills learned at the previous level. From that perspective, you short change yourself from an experience perspective with the zero to hero approach, and if you do that, you'd want to be sure you dove very conservatively and not press the limits of the Full Cave cert until you acquired a lot more experience.

In the real world, it is common for divers to take Cavern and Intro, then take Full Cave a year or two later to gain experience in between. Alternatively, many divers also break in up even more by separating Full Cave into 4 dives and 2 days to get them to the Apprentice level and then 4 dives and 2 days to complete Full Cave up to a year later.

Another option if you have Cavern already is to take Intro and 2 days of the Full Cave course in one trip and then practice at the Apprentice level for a year before finishing Full Cave. Apprentice is a training level that expires, not a certification.

I'm only mentioning this since the thread is about site access and doing full cave to get it....One thing-- zero to hero certainly is rewarded by the agencies regarding site access, since Abe Davis/Wakulla awards needed to get into sites ONLY count the dives once you're past full cave, and from my understanding, these dives don't have to be beyond intro (and maybe not even cavern) standards. If basic/apprentice dives counted or I had done zero to hero, I would be able to dive sites like Hart, but since I followed instructor recommendations, I can't. I wouldn't change my training just to get an award-- I think you gain a LOT by waiting between training levels and in the end you'd cheat yourself-- but it is something I find ironic....

I'm only mentioning this since the thread is about site access and doing full cave to get it....One thing-- zero to hero certainly is rewarded by the agencies regarding site access, since Abe Davis/Wakulla awards needed to get into sites ONLY count the dives once you're past full cave, and from my understanding, these dives don't have to be beyond intro (and maybe not even cavern) standards. If basic/apprentice dives counted or I had done zero to hero, I would be able to dive sites like Hart, but since I followed instructor recommendations, I can't. I wouldn't change my training just to get an award-- I think you gain a LOT by waiting between training levels and in the end you'd cheat yourself-- but it is something I find ironic....

Some good advice

Something worth considering is the certification agency. I'm not going to be specific but I know of one site that won't recognize GUE,and there is some question about accepting NAUI cave at some guided sites.

Some good advice

Something worth considering is the certification agency. I'm not going to be specific but I know of one site that won't recognize GUE,and there is some question about accepting NAUI cave at some guided sites.

Why not be specific? Wouldn't it be nice for other card holders to know where they might have problems?

Why not be specific? Wouldn't it be nice for other card holders to know where they might have problems?

Caveat Emptor...there are a lot of alphabet soup agencies,it sure is wise to know in advance if the certification is recognized in this country and outside this country.

Caveat Emptor...there are a lot of alphabet soup agencies,it sure is wise to know in advance if the certification is recognized in this country and outside this country.

And yet you still refuse to name sites. So this would lead one to suspect you either talking out your *ss or have some ulterior motive for making these suggestions.

And yet you still refuse to name sites. So this would lead one to suspect you either talking out your *ss or have some ulterior motive for making these suggestions.

Diepolder only accepts NSS-CDS/NACD,and I they don't accept GUE.
The county ordinance for Jackson Blue says only NSS-CDS/NACD,but that is not enforced,but that could always change.
There is a question about NAUI cave which could affect some guided systems.

No motive and he is correct here.
Some guided systems ALSO require Trimix certification.

Diepolder is one of them (I believe that is correct)

I took it nice and slow myself too. No regrets here. The caves aren't going anywhere.

Nice thread btw. :D

Beano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom