Introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome!

I am not DIR, but that is because I don't have DIR training. However, I do follow the gear config.

Anyway, glad to have another cave diver on the board.

Campana,

I know what it's like to be far away from the caves. It's not fun, but you make the most of it. I ran into the same situation as you, no buddies that were DIR. I decided that I would organize a DIR Fundamentals class up here, and that went rather well, other than the weather being horrible.

I have a couple buddies that are great divers, but stuck in their ways. I still dive with them, because I trust them, and they trust me. They have made changes to gear, like swiitched to breathing long hose, stages on one side ect. Some of the other things need work though. The two things I'm most concerned with are, if they could get me air when I need it. We agree on the same deco gasses, and how we will do the deco. They still use the computer, but I follow my own schedule. If they have time remaining, I stay with them. If I have time remaining they stay with me. We have discussed safety issues. and they are on board. For the dives we're doing up here that seems to work out well.

I would have to think twice about any serious dives with them, since they don't agree 100% on everything.

Later
-Bob

Originally posted by Campana
We don't have any caves around here, so I drive to OKC, pick up my buddy, and head for Missouri. Last month I did my first trip to Fla. I'm working on my Cave cert and enjoying the diving and the knowledge gained from the board. I'm pretty much DIR. Some of my buddies aren't DIR and I still dive with them, so that's why I say "pretty much".

Dave

As Dave's non DIR buddy ( I'm Hogarthian at best) I say welcome! Glad you could make a go of your DIR fundies class. I and a guy in Austin tried to get one going in central TX and got no commitments.

I now have buddies that are interested in team diving, so we are gradually standardizing our mixes and procedures. we still have some gear issues, but hopefully those will be resolved soon.

If you can't find a commercial cave nearby, find your own. Join the NSS and start networking, contact your local water resources board, universities, etc.

Just be prepared to really rough it.

Dive safe
Brock

Originally posted by Okiecaver

As Dave's non DIR buddy ( I'm Hogarthian at best) I say welcome! Glad you could make a go of your DIR fundies class. I and a guy in Austin tried to get one going in central TX and got no commitments.

Dive safe
Brock

Actually, Brock, I wasn't refering to you as my non DIR buddy. I was refering to Mike H., my "local" buddy. He has a long hose, and in other ways is close, but he relies heavily on his Nitek3, and he doesn't wear backup watch or depth guage. I asked him about it, and he said "Why?, if my computer craps out, the dive's over anyway". He's much farther from DIR than you are. You guys are pretty much DIR in your thinking, I believe, much closer than Mike H. I don't know if I want to take DIR-F. Would rather that our mutual young friend, teacher, and mentor make the agency switch, if you know what I mean. I've already read all the books. Four times.

Campana.

no need for the eggshell walking. As I said- I'm not DIR (neo suit, B-W-O-Ds that I use from time to time, etc.)

Thinking and practice are 2 different things. I can "think" DIR all I want. DOING relies heavily on the actions others. That takes time, especially when money and training and the dreaded C-Word (commitment) are involved.

As for waiting on the inferred other person, Email or call him real soon!

dive safe
Brock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom