Introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the OP really wants to test himself and learn his capabilities, then he should seek out a suitable qualified instructor (tech instructor) who'll show him the reality of his capacity underwater in a few short minutes. Damn, I wish I lived in the USA. :kiss2:

Given where he lives, five minutes with Andrew Georgitsis is about all it should take ... :shocked:

Thing is ... human nature being what it is ... you cannot convince someone else of their limitations. You simply have to put them in a situation where they can draw their own conclusions. One of the most beneficial realities of the gas management exercises I teach in AOW is not what the students learn from the exercise ... it's the conclusions they draw for themselves as a result having done them.

The OP's view of his own capabilities isn't uncommon ... if I had $10 for every inexperienced person I've seen on ScubaBoard thinking they were the exceptional diver, I'd be able to retire by now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Care to elaborate? Have you experienced such techniques when being mentored in Solo Diving?

Solo diving's not the appropriate place to learn crisis management ... tech and/or cave classes is where I've been exposed to it.

Typical scenario ... your buddy gives you an OOA signal. You donate and go on your backup. In the process, your mask gets kicked off (actually, you take it off and the instructor takes it from you). You begin your ascent ... and your reg starts free-flowing. You have to shut down your left post and now the two of you have to ascend while buddy-breathing ... and you without a mask.

It's not a realistic sequence of failures ... but it task-loads you and forces you to think through a solution that's going to make you very uncomfortable for several minutes. Can you manage it? Sure ... if you're taking that class, the skills to manage it are prerequisite. But you can only do so if you can maintain your cool while dealing with a situation that's pretty stressful over an extended period of time.

How's it relate to solo diving? Well, guess what ... if you have a problem while solo you have to deal with it. And the fact is you may be in a very stressed out state of mind at the time ... but you still HAVE to deal with it. You may have all the physical skills you need to do so ... but do you have the mental skills?

The exercise above will help you find out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Care to elaborate? Have you experienced such techniques when being mentored in Solo Diving?

Not in solo diving... within tech and advanced wreck training. However, I wasn't advocating them as 'solo training'.... just as a true test of your capacity to deal with task loading, poor conditions and the resulting panic reaction.

Just a few simple inputs into a regular OW drill can cause an overload due to stress and task-loading. On my rescue courses, I had a lovely patch of thick gooey silt for conducting OOA/AAS drills. Guaranteed that complete zero viz is achieved before the divers can begin an ascent. As they rise out of the 'cloud' it's all wide eyes and rapid breathing. For me, training recreational wreck divers - every skill learnt on OW needs to be achievable in zero vis. I also use blacked out masks or mask removal for this purpose.

Freeflow regulator adds a lot of stress. On rescue courses I run scenarios where I have a freeflow reg and become unresponsive/passive. Divers come and have to come and put me on AAS and lift me. I make sure the freeflow is hitting their face. Mask flooding. Bubbles everywhere. 9/10 screw it up the first time around and would have killed me. Any drill can be made more stressful by some bubbles in the face.

Again....another easy stressor is to task load. Just add two or more easy drills together. Pick any combo of drills from the OW course and see how people can cope.

Exertion adds to the mix too. Add a 5 minute speed fin prior to a drill. It pushes people closer to the 'panic barrier'. A speed fin...and some heavy breathing...also work wonders when added to a Deep Course 'narc' test also.

Other 'slow burn' stressors can be things that test 'dive awareness'. Sometimes, I ask my students to keep notes on their dives. They have a slate and need to log their depth and time for every 50bar of gas they use without missing a check. I like to bet them beers or meals that they won't manage it. I always win.

Those are the less evil ones..... :crafty:

The OP's view of his own capabilities isn't uncommon ... if I had $10 for every inexperienced person I've seen on ScubaBoard thinking they were the exceptional diver, I'd be able to retire by now .....

Isn't that what the Master Scuba Diver rating was created for?? :wink: I am sure someone from PADI retired after inventing that! lol

Thanks for that, Bob. I'm always interested in techniques used by other instructors. I don't teach solo diving nor tech diving, and I've never done a cave cert, but I have done the kinds of scenarios you describe as a student in my own tech classes. I wouldn't say that I had a meltdown in 30 seconds, however, which is what DevonDiver says he can produce, so I was wondering what techniques he uses....

Having said that, my personal most dangerous diving incident happened when I was solo. And you are all correct--my training helped me keep a clear head and solve the problem despite the hugely elevated stress levels I was experiencing.

The OP doesn't know his limitations and he IS NOT a solo diver. He is an OW diver who breaks safety protocols. That is a very different thing. I personally don't even believe he should be allowed to post on this forum.

Its a good thing what you personally believe doesn't really matter then huh?

It is also to bad that you don't live in the USA. I would have enjoyed going thru some training with you and being in the 9/10 statistic that would have killed you in a real emergency. :wink:

Its a good thing what you personally believe doesn't really matter then huh?

It is also to bad that you don't live in the USA. I would have enjoyed going thru some training with you and being in the 9/10 statistic that would have killed you in a real emergency. :wink:

what devon diver believes is bourne out by the reply.

you are lucky, you have a friend who cares about you. i feel sorry for him, it looks like he will lose a friend the hard way - unless he gives up on you the way i have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom