Invasive tunicates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterkitty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay I guess this is where work and pleasure come to meet.

As you may or may not know, I am researching the invasive tunicate species Didemnum lahillei in Narragansett Bay. It's relatively new. Two scientists from URI's GSO and Woods Hole found the tunicate spread along Georges Bank a little less than a year ago.
A pic of the tunicate - it's the whitish stuff growing on the mussels
The reason I am posting here, of all places, is to ask if anyone has seen this while diving, and if so, where? Possibly provide the approx. depth if you can. I would like to add more study sites to look at for preliminary research. Plus thinking of some good places to dive with the UW camera too, just to up my own experience as well. :eyebrow: Any help at all would be appreciated.
I know they've been seen at Ft. Wetherill here in RI and I am studying them closely under the GSO dock while snorkeling...but if you have dove in Mass, Conn, or other places in RI, and have seen this stuff, let me know.

Thanks and happy diving!

I don't know Linda... I haven't really been keeping an eye out for it. If you could give us some clues to help identify it and save you investigating false reports, I'd be happy to let you know if I see any.

Linda, definitely need a better picture or characteruistics that will distinquish this from other similiar species. I too believe I have seen this at Sandwich town beach and Breant rock beach, but cant be sure without more info from you. thanks. I'm sure we'll all gladly help you out. You'll find most divers are very concerned and environmentally conscience.

Do we have native species (or is a tunicate a specie) of tunicates? How would we tell the difference? I've seen things that look similar but not so sure and hate to give a false report. Have any Marine Biology Book Pictures of them all cleaned up and pretty for us? Sad part is I forgot my glasses today and can't even see the mussels. I am diving two sites this weekend one South Shore MA and one North Shore MA, if I see anything I'll snap a pic for you and you can decide. Good Luck with your project. Hey maybe Gabe's Friend can grab a handful for a snap shot. (just kidding Gabe).

P

waterkitty:
... Didemnum lahillei in Narragansett Bay. It's relatively new. Two scientists from URI's GSO and Woods Hole found the tunicate spread along Georges Bank a little less than a year ago.

Saw that stuff all over the Plymouth, Massachusetts area dive sites nearly two years ago. Covered pretty much everything at a dive site called Indian Hills. I have not seen it farther north in Gloucester, Massachusetts or Maine.

DSDO

Alan

ScubaNorth:
Do we have native species (or is a tunicate a specie) of tunicates? How would we tell the difference? I've seen things that look similar but not so sure and hate to give a false report. Have any Marine Biology Book Pictures of them all cleaned up and pretty for us? Sad part is I forgot my glasses today and can't even see the mussels. I am diving two sites this weekend one South Shore MA and one North Shore MA, if I see anything I'll snap a pic for you and you can decide. Good Luck with your project. Hey maybe Gabe's Friend can grab a handful for a snap shot. (just kidding Gabe).

P

I saw that scuba north ... you butt face lol :wink:

waterkitty:
Okay I guess this is where work and pleasure come to meet.

As you may or may not know, I am researching the invasive tunicate species Didemnum lahillei in Narragansett Bay. It's relatively new. Two scientists from URI's GSO and Woods Hole found the tunicate spread along Georges Bank a little less than a year ago.
A pic of the tunicate - it's the whitish stuff growing on the mussels
The reason I am posting here, of all places, is to ask if anyone has seen this while diving, and if so, where? Possibly provide the approx. depth if you can. I would like to add more study sites to look at for preliminary research. Plus thinking of some good places to dive with the UW camera too, just to up my own experience as well. :eyebrow: Any help at all would be appreciated.
I know they've been seen at Ft. Wetherill here in RI and I am studying them closely under the GSO dock while snorkeling...but if you have dove in Mass, Conn, or other places in RI, and have seen this stuff, let me know.

Thanks and happy diving!

The first place I've noticed them was diving off Isle of shoals. I had never noticed them before until I dove there as they were so many. Mostly 90-100 feet diving Cedar ledge.

I also see them a lot in Portsmouth channel (Shore diving off Pierce Island)

More than happy to show you where.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom