Invertebrate ID???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan

Contributor
Reaction score
While diving Big Corona last night in California,
Here is where I need help in Identification. What caught our eye happened to be a flat, round pad snuggled in he sand with feathry 'feelers' rising up from the pad. There were several that we saw throughout the sandy bottom. My buddy actually found one floating in the water. The pad has a long stem about 6 to 8" long that anchors it into the sand. The Stem is burried deep, for the pad is flush with the sandy bottom. I believe this to be some sort of invertebrate for it felt very fleshy. Also, the stem seemed to be like a syphon of sorts. I am sorry that I don't have a pic of it, for I did not take my camera knowing the viz was going to probably be so poor.

It was a beautiful night, just wish conditions were alot better.

Happy Diving!

sounds like a pennatulacean (sea pens and pansies). The "flat pad" would be the axial stalk, and the long "stem" the anchoring peduncle. The little feathery things are probably the gastrozooids used to catch prey... they are basally attached to the axial polyp.

Wow, I pulled all this out of my head in less than two minutes. I must be brilliant! Probably dead wrong...

** new edit **
Here's a link to a "generic" type sea pen (they're named that 'cuz they resemble old feather quills). It probably is not the same form as the one you described, but its a start.
http://staff.washington.edu/timk/wildlife/invertebrate/sea_pen/sea_pen.html

Just what I was going to suggest. Renilla kollikeri (sp?) is our local SoCal sea pansy. Don't see them here on Catalina where I dive, but I collected a number of them here and in the Sea of Cortez for the LACMNH back in the early 70's. Woild love to find some to videotape.

Jan, they're not a type of sea anemone but a more advanced colonial relative. They're well known for bioluminescing when disturbed.

Dr. B.

We have Renilla muelleri here in the Gulf of Mexico. I think our variety is simply a stumpier version of yours... resembles a purple-pink lily pad sticking out of the sand by a short (couple centimeter) stalk.

I'd love to see some pics of this California species. Most stuff in California is more dramatic... poo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom