Inverted Tank Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using inverted tanks for years, no biggie
megalodon-tanks.jpg

…The only reason we did it that way was to be able to reach the valve to turn it on if it was needed. ...

Another reason for wearing bailouts valve-down is the top of the cylinder(s) can take a beating getting back into the bell’s hatch or working in tight spaces around machinery and structures. It is not often a diver is smacked on their lower back or butt. Protecting the valve and regulator on deck is much less of a concern for commercial divers since one or more tenders helps them dress and undress.

I was actually wondering about this. What capacity tank did you use for bail-out in commercial diving? And was it a steel or aluminum cylinder?

Commercial diving covers a pretty broad spectrum, from scraping boat bottoms to full saturation well below 1000’. Bailout size also depends on company policy and jurisdiction. I have even seen rebreathers experimented with (not a great idea). Aluminum 40s are fairly common in the US for air jumps, but can be most any single Aluminum or steel tank. Deciding factors are what is reasonable to work in, how much time it provides to “get home”, and what fits through the hatch.

I dive with an inverted pony attached to my primary tank so I can easily access the tank valve. A shoulder injury decades ago makes it difficult to reach the valve on a standard tank. I always thought the inverted primary tank would be a great idea except for the potential for reg damage.

When I seen this, I remember awhile back, dr bill you mentioned that you went head down on a deep dive and something lodged in your tank and you had to make it to the surface.

Not picking on ya doc, fireman have them that way, It just sometimes gives me a thought When i fly down to depth, Funny how ones experience affects ya, I still do it, just no If it ever happened, I will try to get to the surface and be screaming DR BILL told me so.

Happy Diving

Pulled this off some doubles about 8 years ago, to do some crap tech course
when I decided to dive with people, from boats run by commercial operators.

Bad idea.

Used to twiddle my knobs with delight to no end.

P7020431.JPG

Now upright, I NEVER touch them.

Probably take me an hour to slap it back together
including a couple of reg sets from bits and pieces.

I still can't figure why I built it to stand up, restricting
access, although there is still plenty of access sort of.

Being broadly open and experimental, will get you out of
more scrapes than repetitive brainwashing bombardment

Certainly more so than roosters scratching around
pecking between their legs trying to look for eggs.

Faber 100s.

The main disadvantage is a easy way to stand the tank up for donning.
It was never a problem the good 'ole days when men were men, and the only acceptable way to put your tank on was the ditch and don.

Burly men at that! Have you noticed that all the buff he men on TV have no chest hair now. what happened with that. Are they putting something in the Soy coffee whitener these days?

I loved my Divators, first got them in 1976. Great rig for coldwater diving. Really negative as poster says but sweet for shipwreck penetration due to low profile and all hoses routed under your arm.

My all-time favorite open circuit rig are the old AGA Divator 324s — 300 Bar/4351 PSI, 2 cylinder, 4 Liters/bottle, about 80 Ft³. I first used them for bailout in sat because the bottles are only 110mm/4.33” in diameter, a big deal when getting through a 24” hatch and stowing in a crowded bell. The valve and regulator have the best protection I have ever seen. The hemispherical top-end of the cylinders have rubber bumpers that are great for lockouts or shallow wrecks. I am pretty short, and have no trouble reaching the valve.

The downsides are not many people can fill them to capacity and they are about 11 Lbs negative when full so would suck for tropical diving. Also the tapered valve threads are only 12mm/½” so O2 cleaning and inspection is a PIA. Trim in a 7mm wetsuit or drysuit is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom