Inverted twin cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been wondring about this setup for a while.. Seems to me that access to the valves would be easier.. Sure, its not the norm around here, but is there anything intrinsically wrong with inverted tanks.. can someone give me a reason not do it? Local firefighters and commercial divers seem to be using that setup. Why didn't it catch on with the rec crowd?

sparky30:
....Local firefighters and commercial divers seem to be using that setup. Why didn't it catch on with the rec crowd?
Psychological inertia.

All the best, James

CONS:

- It's unnecessary. You're relying on equipment to solve a skill issue, since there's no real reason not to be able to reach your valves in a traditional configuration, therefore rendering everything else I'm about to type unnecessary.

- the need to purchase brand new hoses for everything, since the lengths will be different.

- no real clean way of routing the hoses. For example, with a traditional setup, your backup reg curls right under your head and chin - you couldn't do this with an inverted set.

- the need to purchase a manifold cage to protect your valves... which you really, really hope works when you set a 100 lb set of doubles on a rocking boat down on the cage.

- streamlining would go to absolute crap if you had aluminum cylinders or steel tanks with boots on.

- the need to spin a 100 lb set of doubles around for fills, storage or inspection.

- shutting down your isolator (which is arguably the most important valve) would be even tougher, since you'd have to reach around the tanks to do it. If you were to add slobwinders, it's an additional failure point to deal with.

PRO's

- I suppose if you were lazy and didn't invest the time to learn how to do a simple valve drill, you could rely on equipment to 'solve' a skills issue. But - it's not really solving anything is it?

Boogie711:
CONS:

- It's unnecessary. You're relying on equipment to solve a skill issue, since there's no real reason not to be able to reach your valves in a traditional configuration, therefore rendering everything else I'm about to type unnecessary.

- the need to purchase brand new hoses for everything, since the lengths will be different.

- no real clean way of routing the hoses. For example, with a traditional setup, your backup reg curls right under your head and chin - you couldn't do this with an inverted set.

- the need to purchase a manifold cage to protect your valves... which you really, really hope works when you set a 100 lb set of doubles on a rocking boat down on the cage.

- streamlining would go to absolute crap if you had aluminum cylinders or steel tanks with boots on.

- the need to spin a 100 lb set of doubles around for fills, storage or inspection.

- shutting down your isolator (which is arguably the most important valve) would be even tougher, since you'd have to reach around the tanks to do it. If you were to add slobwinders, it's an additional failure point to deal with.

PRO's

- I suppose if you were lazy and didn't invest the time to learn how to do a simple valve drill, you could rely on equipment to 'solve' a skills issue. But - it's not really solving anything is it?

And if you have a free flow at the valve, its harder to hear.

Argument I saw in favor went like this:

Its better
Its safer
The advocates of dir hate it.

From what I understand, the reasons for bottom connect on FF's SCBA is that the valve is more accessible in a tight situation. You are more likely to have your hands at your sides than over your heads. The manufacturers also believe that the valve at the bottom is more protected by your body and less likely to be an entanglement hazard. I know that I always have found it much easier to operate the valve on my SCBA than on my scuba tank while wearing them...

Boogie711:
Those were single SCBA tanks though, weren't they CDN ff?

Yeah, that's true. either 30 minute, or 60 minute bottles... I don't know what effect that would have with manifolded tanks. I do know from personal experience, that you can get jammed into a small space in a fire (or, for that matter, in a confined space rescue), and raising your hands over your head would not be an option...

Back
Top Bottom