IPAD 4 as a Monitor while Travelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nankivell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
It seems to me that you should be able to use your IPAD as a monitor to view pictures and videos while traveling on a dive trip. However, other than actually downloading the photos from an SD card to the IPAD, I can not find any way to simply hook up the camera to the IPAD to review the pictures taken on a dive. Am I stuck looking for a television on the boat or go back at the hotel?

There is this device called a Camranger--but it will not work with the Canon S100.

Anyone have any experience or ideas in this regard?

I would think the new Surface Pro by Microsoft would be light-years better. It can run Lightroom or Photoshop or a video editing program like Vegas or Premier.
It has a great 1080P display..... It is a REAL COMPUTER close to the size of an IPad.

I have used an IPAD for presentations, where you spend lots of time on a real computer, creating the presentation, then you spend time converting it for the IPAD, and then having to transfer it with I Tunes....
The IPAD was a good idea, and the right direction, but the Surface Pro would be the Real Deal.

I think the cheaper Surface RT is a bad mistake...too much like the Ipad, you lose too much of what you need, to get the low price point.

I have the Lightning to Sd card reader--and I think that's the best I can do. You can only review thumbnails and you can not review videos without downloading. Oh we'll. that Surface Pro looks great but I already have the Newer Ipad. It is amazing to me that the Ipad is not capable to be used as a monitor for digital cameras and camcorders.

Thanks Peter. It is amazing that you would need to go through all of these hoops to do something as basic as reviewing reviewing your photos on an Ipad.

I have used an iPad (the original so I guess it does not have a number?) for many years to review photos.

It is a huge improvement over trying to review them on the camera. And a lot smaller and lighter than any of my laptops.

It is simple but very limited.

- Take card out of camera.
- plug card into white camera attachment thingy on iPad
- import all photos
- put card back in camera
- review images on iPad.
- review same image on camera
- delete crappy picture from ipad
- delete same crappy picture from camera

This process means that my camera card is still the master copy so that once I get home I have a clean set of images that I can load onto a real computer.

The compact size and high enough resolution screen on the iPad makes it worthwhile.

There is also some very basic ability to make albums, so I often make up a slide show of my top ten photos on the iPad.

I never attempt to transfer stuff from the iPad to anywhere else. Too much hassle.

Back
Top Bottom