IRDA and Windows 11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I read the excellent thread on IRDA with Windows 10, but am having trouble making this work with Windows 11. I have enabled the optional IRDA stack, and rebooted. I own the UWATEC IRDA USB dongle, and every time it's coming up with "Unknown device" in the device manager. I have tried deleteing the unknown device and searching for new hardware - same result.

The 3rd party drivers that I am seeing don't seem to have any support for Windows 11 and I don't want to download a lot of them for them only not to work.

Has anyone else had any luck with this? I would love to get my new dives out of my SmartCom! I would love it if someone could share their knowledge of this to help others of us that are still quite happy with our SmartComs! :)

Thanks in advance!

I was one of the contributors in the win 10 thread unfortunately I no longer have that dive computer.
One suggestion would be to create a "Virtual Machine" (VMWare is free for personal use). You could then install any version of windows that you have the drivers for.

I downloaded this version for Windows 10 and it works with Windows 11 as well.

Hello

I managed to make smartrack run on Windows 11 with IRDA following the procedure:

Use the original disk of the IRDA; start the installation and Install the drive for Windows7 64 bits
Go in setting > Apps > Optional feature and verify that IRDA is install, other wise add it.
Go in control panel > system > device manager
and, with the dongle inserted , verify that the is no exclamation point on the driver. This means the system accepted the driver and it is working.
If you click on the properties of the IRDA device and select the driver tab
You should read :
Provide MosChip…
Date 2007-05-18
Version 1.3.0.0

Aligne the IrDA sensor with the computer port;
Run logtrack or smartrack and it should work smoothly. You will see the little transmitting icon appearing in the right side of the dove computer screen
I hope this helps
Giancarlo

I read the excellent thread on IRDA with Windows 10, but am having trouble making this work with Windows 11. [snip]
Hello,
In the past, I messed with my registry in Windows 10 and never could have it working with the computer I used most often. Now I have a new computer running Windows 11, and I managed to set up IrDA and SmartTrak, it works like a charm.

My dongle (brand: Lindy) purchased 2 years ago is not recognised by Windows 11 22H2. So it shows as an "unknown device" under USB in the device manager.

Looking at the properties, the identification displays as “USB\VID_9710&PID_7780”. Several sources could be found on the web, related to a Moschip or Asix chip MCS7780. There are at least 2 versions of the driver lying around, 1.3.0.0. and 1.3.2.0.

Update the driver, pick the location where you unzipped the package, do not run any setup.exe !, Simply pick the driver file in its 64-bit version for the now standard computers.

Then, as explained elsewhere, install the Windows component IrDA from Apps > Optional Features, and you are on the go.

SmartTRAK.exe asks for administrative rights each time it is run, change the properties of the EXE file in Program Files (x86)\SmartTRAK, and set in the compatibility mode to WIndows 7.

[Edit: works also perfectly with Subsurface. That's a good reason to abandon SmartTrak]

I am a native French speaking, and posted that info on my blog in French (link) with a copy of the driver I have used.

Hey Folks,
We were having the same issue with Gas Metering technology. We build a USB to IrDA converter, and it doesn't require a Microsoft IrDA driver. I bet we could repurpose it for SCUBA equipment.

I was one of the contributors in the win 10 thread unfortunately I no longer have that dive computer.
One suggestion would be to create a "Virtual Machine" (VMWare is free for personal use). You could then install any version of windows that you have the drivers for.
I'd be pleased to know if anyone has found some way of getting Windows 11 to work with the Scubapro Smarttrak Infrared Driver software and the Scubapro galileo Luna Dive Computer! I have just bought a new Windows 11 Desktop but fortunately I also have a Windows 10 Laptop, so I can still download dives from my Galileo Luna to Smarttrak software and copy across to the Desktop. I'd really be pleased if anyone has a solution. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom