Is 16 dives in 3 days too aggressive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaclub Cozumel has a house reef where you can make a night dive or two. I'm not a fan of drift diving, so I skipped some of the boat dives in favor of shore diving while I was there.

I have done 4 dives in a day in Cozumel a bunch of times (Just turned 40). It makes for a long day with boat rides and SI, but it is doable and can be fun when the water is a bit warmer. I have done it in Feb and I was freezing by the end of the 4th dives, especially after multiple diving days in a row. I did Nitrox on all dives besides the 1st one of the day and I do not like to go below 90 feet unless there is really something cool to go down for. 5 dives wouldn't be a big deal to get in, 6 would be a challenge.

Thanks for the input I have altered my thinking and reduced it to 2 am and 2 afternoon dives which I think will also give me some time to enjoy Cozumel while I am there as well.

Glad to hear we won't be reading about another dive accident. 4 dives per day is certainly doable (not for me but many others do it). With 12 dives in 3 days try to leave yourself at least 18 hours from your last dive until you fly. Remember, your last surfacing represents your last decompression but when you get on a plane you experience another. Air pressure at sea level is 14.7 PSI and at cruise altitude is between 11 and 12 PSI. When you're on the plane take an empty water bottle and screw the top on at cruise altitude and watch it shrink as you descend to land. Divers can be OK at sea level but if they get on a plane too soon the potential to fizz again presents if they've pushed it to the limits on their DC's. DC's don't consider a subsequent flight... Instead some just start a 24 hour time to fly countdown.

Glad to hear we won't be reading about another dive accident. 4 dives per day is certainly doable (not for me but many others do it). With 12 dives in 3 days try to leave yourself at least 18 hours from your last dive until you fly. Remember, your last surfacing represents your last decompression but when you get on a plane you experience another. Air pressure at sea level is 14.7 PSI and at cruise altitude is between 11 and 12 PSI. When you're on the plane take an empty water bottle and screw the top on at cruise altitude and watch it shrink as you descend to land. Divers can be OK at sea level but if they get on a plane too soon the potential to fizz again presents if they've pushed it to the limits on their DC's. DC's don't consider a subsequent flight... Instead some just start a 24 hour time to fly countdown.
I have defiantly considered that I talked to the dive op and I will have 24 or 25 hours between the time I get out of the water and get on the plane. I think 4 dives a day will be plenty after the input I am getting here now I am just looking forward to the vacation and enjoying the area.

Dressel does night dives I believe on M, W, F. So you could get 14 boat dives in three days no problem. They do 60 minute dives in morning and 50 minutes in afternoon.

Use nitrox, follow your computer and your training.... you will be fine. Don't let the chamber, DAN, and other comments in here scare you.

I just finished doing 27 dives over a 5 1/2 day period on a liveaboard. Dives over 60 minutes in length, deeper than 100 feet, etc. It can safely be done.

Go dive your ass off and have fun!

Do they do 4 boat dives a day though? I can’t remember from when I was diving with dressel in May. There was a lot of waiting around/filling 2 boats etc. I don’t think 4 dives a day was the norm + night dive..

I do 4 a day regularly when I go on a dive trip, especially if it's only for a week. If I manage to get a longer trip I will alternate 4 one day and 3 the next. I'm 40 years old and I end up tired occasionally but that is why I go on dive trips, to dive.

I love the you're gonna die comments. :thumb:

Y'all definitely don't want to see the diving being done everyday on the Gulf Coast of Florida. You are operator limited, not human capability limited.

Also, I have never done a liveaboard, but my understanding is it's pretty common to do five dives a day. Two am, two pm, one night. On a week long liveaboard that's a lot of diving.

Just Curious, does one consider just the number of times your face hits the water for a log entry? To me that sounds pretty silly. The length of dive and the quality of the dive ought to be much more important as that is where you really learn the skills to be a competent diver. Count the hours diving and where, makes much more sense than log book entries.

I know, I did that back in the eighties and now feel embarrassed to have been a bragging "Master Scuba Diver"!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Do they do 4 boat dives a day though? I can’t remember from when I was diving with dressel in May. There was a lot of waiting around/filling 2 boats etc. I don’t think 4 dives a day was the norm + night dive..

They do. Two in morning, and two in afternoon. Morning ones are 60 minutes and afternoons are 50. You return to the pier between every dive.

The night dive is M, W, F. In addition to the normal day schedule.

Not sure how they've changed things up since the closures though. Will know in a few weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom