Is 24hr SI sufficient before flying after a liveaboard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley once bubbled...
I assume you read the DAN article on flying and diving. "...Of the 88 cases reviewed from the Caribbean for 1994, 33 -- or 37.5 percent -- occurred on the first day. The remainder occurred on days two through seven..." http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=56

Dehydration and fatigue are increased risk factors for DCI.

Admittedly it is too small a sampling to determine cause and effect. But 37%, that is a good argument to me to not dive the same day I arrive, but to rest and re-hydrate.
Cause and effect is a good question. My personal guess is that the most significant factor is that many of the divers haven't been diving recently. Their "first day of diving", whether it is the day or arrival, the next day, or even the day after that is when they are most likely to have problems.

It's not clear from your quote what DAN means by "first day", but it probably means the first dive day, independent of whether or not it is the day of arrival.

My recommendation is to do a nice, shallow, non-challenging shore dive to get back in the groove.

Tropics Diver once bubbled...
It's not clear from your quote what DAN means by "first day", but it probably means the first dive day, independent of whether or not it is the day of arrival.

My recommendation is to do a nice, shallow, non-challenging shore dive to get back in the groove.

I agree with your analysis. Dehydration and fatique from flying may or may not be a factor due to the other considerations you poiont out. But it is worth considering and taning the day of arrival to rest and rehydrate.

About time for a few new words round here don't you think?

Anyway, my point is I'll bet most people lying in the sun sipping Margueritas or even just water, probably dry out about as much as (if not more than) those on planes. One should not underestimate the dangers of lying in the sun making like a raisin on diving vacations... :)

It is easy to sweat a lot and hard to motivate oneself to go to the bar and get another glass of pinapple juice or whatever to rehydratize with!

Piscean.

Back
Top Bottom