Is 3 Hours Enough Time for Transfer in Jakarta to Sorong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott from LongIsland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at flights to get to Sorong and one of the options would be to get into Jakarta at 955pm. It looks like there is a Garuda flight at 12:20am and Batik Air at 1am.

How long does it typically take to go through customs, get bags and check in to the local airlines? It sounds like it is a different terminal.

Would I have enough time to catch the Batik air flight at 1am if all goes according to schedule? Or would you suggest an overnight in Jakarta? My other option would be to arrive at 5:50pm but that would entail a 9 hour layover in Doha which I would like to try to avoid if i can.

Thanks all!

It can be possible but I would advise against it.
If your arriving in Sorong for a LOB I would advise arriving a day before and not on the day of departure.

yeah, i would already be arriving two days early. More curious about the layout of the airport and if this is doable in general. Otherwise, it seems that it is either an overnight in Jarkata or a 9hr layover in Doha. I would prefer to avoid both if possible

3 hour transfer time in Jakarta, going through customs & immigration checkpoints and dragging your luggages from International terminal 2 to Garuda’s terminal 3, is not enough time. I would take the 5:50pm arrival if I were you.

Also, 9-hour layover is actually OK after a long flight from New York to Doha. You can have a good rest in Doha before the next long flight. It also gives your luggages a chance to be transferred to the right next flight. Then you’ll also have a good rest in Jakarta.

The new terminal 3 in Jakarta is nice for resting too.
FED98576-71D1-4A7B-B30C-EAAEA1D524D7.jpeg

Cool, thanks for this Dan T. I have access to the executive club in Jakarta so that would make it more comfy too. I was leaning towards this 550 arrival to be safe anyway. Considering both you and dirtfarmer say its too tight i will be conservative here and take the long route. appreciate the quick replies

I like to take an 11+ hour layover (same ticket) after a long flight and get a night's rest in a bed. It may be a short night - even so it's amazing how beneficial to mind and body it is!

If it's on the same ticket you do not have to pick up your bags, just go through passport control and head to a nearby hotel.

- Bill

I just did the Jakarta to Sorong trip in October. I agree with the others.

It's doable, but it's tight. Any sort of delay on your incoming leg will leave you SOL. You have to take a bus to transfer terminals and it's not on a regular schedule. I would plan for more time. I arrived at 11:55 PM and my Sorong flight was not until 5:35 AM. Everything was on time and it turned out to be plenty of time. We enjoyed ourselves at a restaurant, caught up on e-mails, etc.

Arriving 2 days early in Sorong...It's wise. We arrived early as well. Bring yourself something to keep you entertained! There's not much to do there.

Last edited:
I like to take an 11+ hour layover (same ticket) after a long flight and get a night's rest in a bed. It may be a short night - even so it's amazing how beneficial to mind and body it is!

If it's on the same ticket you do not have to pick up your bags, just go through passport control and head to a nearby hotel.

- Bill

Ah, that is a good idea. Now i am looking at the longer layover. It looks like i would arrive at 6am in the morning though so not sure a hotel would work. decisions decisions

Ah, that is a good idea. Now i am looking at the longer layover. It looks like i would arrive at 6am in the morning though so not sure a hotel would work. decisions decisions
Can always just bite the bullet and book the extra hotel night, or the night even though you're not going to sleep there at normal hours (whatever normal means at that point) and let them know when you're arriving. An extra hotel night there (which is not that expensive) is not much in the grand scheme of a trip there.

Can always just bite the bullet and book the extra hotel night, or the night even though you're not going to sleep there at normal hours (whatever normal means at that point) and let them know when you're arriving. An extra hotel night there (which is not that expensive) is not much in the grand scheme of a trip there.

yeah, i think that is the way to go...great idea. thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom