Question Is a 20 year old regulator safe to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my Atomic B2 circa 1997 (B1 and upgraded to a B2 later). Still works like new. If you buy the right brand and model, it will last you almost a lifetime.

I've used mine for 18 years since I bought it used when I did OW cert. (so who knows when it was new?). Works the same as in 2005. Serviced every 2-3 years depending. But, I rarely go below 30 feet so it's not a worry since I can CESA up.

FWIW, I dive 16 year old Mares regs - a MR42T first stage with Proton Metal “She Dives”(just a cosmetics package - I like the looks, and I’m a man) and MV Octo seconds. All were recently serviced by a reputable tech in SoCal. As long as you can can get parts for service, I’d dive them. You can’t get plastic faceplates anymore FWIW, the tech said I have a hard to find but very solid second.

Old Mares regs were rock solid and simple - especially the second stages. No balancing mech or surface/dive modes. And, except for the MR42T, all Mares first stages can be updated to their current build standard to allow for 2 year servicing.

I saw someone with an old Aqualung Conshelf setup just this weekend.

Of the many regulators I have and use, all are from last century save for the 2006 USD remake of the Mistral. That reg Is a piece of junk. The rest work amazingly. M
Ahh come on Mark , I see those red AK hoses. :)
Had to razz you my friend .

I dive a lot of older regs, both old double hose and single hose. Bottom line is, if you can get parts and it has been serviced, there is no reason at all to not dive an older reg and IMO, the quality and materials of the older regs are often times better.
I will add that "advise" from some dive shops is not the best since it's in their interest to sell you a new reg rather than service your older one.

Ahh come on Mark , I see those red AK hoses. :)
Had to razz you my friend .
Ok, ok, you got me on that one. Wasn't thinking of my red-headed stepchild regulator. 😀

Scubapro Mk 10 + G250
I have about half a dozen of each, and they subjectively seem to work as good as the MK25 + S600 sets I currently dive with. I don't know when any of my MK10s or G250s were made, but as others mentioned, many were made in the 80s.

How much? Ship to PH? Bring it with you to surge and send it to me via J&T?

Back
Top Bottom