Is a 6 week divemaster internship worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dladowitz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
I've been looking at doing a 4-6 week divemaster or Assistant Instructor Internship.
Part of the reason is to just have fun and part would be to get a job on a boat or dive shop. I'm looking at taking 6 months off from my current job (Computer Support) and heading to another country. I'd like to work for a dive resort, boat or local shop.
I've seen a number of companies offering internships for $1000-$2000US (including accomodations) for 4-8 weeks. I'm not looking to make a lifetime career change. I just want to work on a diveboat and break even for a while.

Does anyone know if a dive internship will make it easier to get a job in the industry.
Or do employeers look at them like a joke. I've heard this of bartending school.

Anyone know of good companies that do internships. Also how hard is it to get a divemaster job in general. Either in the US or abroad?

thanks
David

Obtaining a PADI Divemaster rating is fairly easy, so where ever you go, they will be dime a dozen; In most warm places, local citizens fill this role.

In most warm water dive shops that have limited business, the instructor(s) act as divemaster.

If you can find a dive shop that guarantees employment after your divemaster course, then go for that one.... however, it unlikely you will find one.

It is best to think of a divemaster internship as a way to get a lot of cheap diving, if a shop allows you to hang around after your program to dive for free or super cheap, then give it a go.

PADI does not regulate the number of certified instructors or divemasters in any market... and since this is a job that everyone dreams about, there is always a state of under-employment.

If you decide to go directly to instructor to increase you odds, you will need to speak a second language other than english, being a Master Scuba Diver Trainer has little meaning.

Wages in general in the recreation dive industry are very poor, if you look at the condition of the gear full time divemasters and instructors use, it is generally in poor... no money to replace or maintain properly.

Remember, the global economy, especially the airline industry is in a downturn, therefore, the number of dive tourists will also be in a downturn....

Last edited:
debbie_downer.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom