Is a simpler weight system superior?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What’s the best weight system? From my reading here on Scuba Board, I don’t see any weight system approach or design that is clearly superior and liked more than the others.

Personally, for simplicity and comfort, I like an integrated system approach. However, no one integrated system design is the best, from what I can tell. From my limited experience, some look slick and work really great in the dive shop, but not so good in the water. Dropping integrated weights seems to be a oommon issue and diver concern.

After some research for a new BC, I’m gravitating towards an integrated BC with releaseable and unreleaseable pockets. The simpler the better, with the releaseable pockets having a velcro closures on the bottom and a zippered top. Common complaints about velcro pockets states concerns about the velcro wearing out or not working any longer. I can’t see how that could be a problem if the velcro opening is only used for emergency use, as weights should normally be inserted & removed from the zippered top opening. As compared to getting sliding weight pockets in place and locked, dropping weights into a pocket and zipping it closed seems like a superior, simpler and easier solution. Zippered pockets may not have great show room visual appeal, but in use their functionality seems better.

Am I right-on, or am I not considering other issues?

The simplest weight system is a weight belt with just enough weight on it to make a safety stop with a few hundred psi in your tank. It should be light enough to allow you to swim up at any point in the dive with no air in your suit or BC. I had an integrated BC once. I lost both weight pockets during dives. I've also found a few pockets on the bottom.

Here you go, 3 perfect weighting systems

where lead is bolted to the plate with bolts

plastic bakpak inside bcd is filled with lead shot

plastic bakpak with no bcd is filled with lead shot

full.jpg

and the recently devised zeagle ranger stripped of supurfluosity with cable tied lead

full.jpg

about to become perfect after I test it this week with the homemade CCR

What’s the best weight system? From my reading here on Scuba Board, I don’t see any weight system approach or design that is clearly superior and liked more than the others.

Personally, for simplicity and comfort, I like an integrated system approach. However, no one integrated system design is the best, from what I can tell. From my limited experience, some look slick and work really great in the dive shop, but not so good in the water. Dropping integrated weights seems to be a oommon issue and diver concern.

After some research for a new BC, I’m gravitating towards an integrated BC with releaseable and unreleaseable pockets. The simpler the better, with the releaseable pockets having a velcro closures on the bottom and a zippered top. Common complaints about velcro pockets states concerns about the velcro wearing out or not working any longer. I can’t see how that could be a problem if the velcro opening is only used for emergency use, as weights should normally be inserted & removed from the zippered top opening. As compared to getting sliding weight pockets in place and locked, dropping weights into a pocket and zipping it closed seems like a superior, simpler and easier solution. Zippered pockets may not have great show room visual appeal, but in use their functionality seems better.

Am I right-on, or am I not considering other issues?
Opinions on this vary, as you can already see in the replies.

I also like "integrated" weights. I'm not a fan of weight belts at all. I think they're overly complicated in their use compared to integrated systems. Personally, I use 16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite on a "backplate and wing" BCD. These have velcro, and clips. Velcro (or clips) can wear out, but since the system is easy to remove, I replaced mine at about 5 years. Just under 200 dives. I never had a problem with them, I replaced them proactively. I might have got 5 more years out of them but I erred on the side of caution. There are cheaper pouches you can get, but these are the ones I prefer. I've never dropped a pouch or had it fall out or any problems at all.

If you buy a bcd with integrated weight pouches, some designs don't use velcro (I think zeagle does this). Others do. If the BCD you're looking at only uses the velcro in emergency ditch situation then I personally wouldn't be concerned about it wearing out before other parts of the BCD. I can count the number of times I've actually had to ditch weights on zero fingers.

If you need to carry 6 or 7 lbs anything should work. As the total ballast requirements go up, then the consideration of trim, being able to ditch lead underwater or on the surface and finding a way to possibly allocate ballast to fixed and drop able all come into play. There is so much variability, with different configurations, that I can’t see one system being optimal in ALL circumstances.

I think the considerations should be made for safety, comfort and convience, probably in that rank order. I use a weight belt in most configurations and may add fixed weight with a thick suit. So I think it is beneficial to describe what exposure suit, what tanks, any plate used etc. when discussing a potential system - no one best answer for
Everyone

There are cheaper pouches you can get, but these are the ones I prefer.

You'd have to admit, though, that at that price you can add a twenty and get the complete DUI harness...

My favorite weight system is a stainless steel back plate and a high pressure steel tank.

If I actually need any more weight than that, 2 x $10 trim weight pockets on one of the tank straps.

DGX Trim Weight Pocket {4 lb | 1.8 kg}

For drysuit diving in a single tank, possibly up to 4 x trim weigh pouches. 2 on each of the tank straps.

With a single tank and correct weighting, there is no need at all for ditchable weight.

With a single tank and correct weighting, there is no need at all for ditchable weight.

There you go smartest quote out there, give it a go folks, strive for it

so despite the wing size, having moved the clip further away
there is zero taco with any size single tank.

full.jpg

See the little wing clip
See the little leads peeking out

little leads snuggled in, none dumpable

full.jpg

because when you are neutrally weighted there's nothing to dump

Beauuutiful!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom