Is a weight belt worn under a BP/W really "ditchable"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Litefoot

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this question at the tail end of another thread, but decided to make a new thread. I know proper weighting is essential, but as a new diver, I like having the option of easily ditching weight in an emergency. To me,"ditchable" means quickly and easily shedding ballast. So, in my mind, having to unbuckle the harness, drop the crotch strap, and then unfasten and remove the weight belt wouldn't be quick nor easy for a distressed diver.

I really would like to go with a weight belt, but that aspect is a bit worrisome for me. Maybe it's something I need to try and practice to get more comfortable with it. What are your thoughts?

Edit: The other option I;m considering is the Subgravity Paragon system.

I posted this question at the tail end of another thread, but decided to make a new thread. I know proper weighting is essential, but as a new diver, I like having the option of easily ditching weight in an emergency. To me,"ditchable" means quickly and easily shedding ballast. So, in my mind, having to unbuckle the harness, drop the crotch strap, and then unfasten and remove the weight belt wouldn't be quick nor easy for a distressed diver.

I really would like to go with a weight belt, but that aspect is a bit worrisome for me. Maybe it's something I need to try and practice to get more comfortable with it. What are your thoughts?

Edit: The other option I;m considering is the Subgravity Paragon system.
There are reasons to wear a weight belt under the harness but for your purposes (making a few assumptions reading between the lines) it would be better over the harness as is traditional.

If you wish to integrate weights into your harness, assuming warm water travel diving, I prefer these, this is the 12 pounds set, they have a pull tab that is QR:

Then get some cam band non-QR pockets for trim weights.

I have a quick release on my crotch strap that makes it easier. I certainly don't want to accidentally lose my weightbelt at depth and since I always carry redundant buoyancy I don't see a need to ditch weight except at the surface in an emergency.

Lots of ways to deal with either but I just put the weight on the rig, I have my own system but the SG one looks fine.

If you are properly weighted there is no need to ditch the entire belt. I have pockets on mine from which I can ditch one or two weights if necessary.
Wearing it on top of the harness greatly increases the risk of it coming off when you don't want it to. As well as making it a royal pain to put on and not struggle with. Unless you do it in the water in a horizontal position.
A weight belt under the harness also shows that you understand proper weighting and realize that only in a true emergency do you ever need to ditch it.
And should you need to do that AT THE SURFACE, you undo the weight belt buckle and the waist belt buckle. Takes no time at all and the belt will just drop. Then you can refasten the waist belt and deal with the issue.

My view is a properly weighted, single-tank diver can be positively buoyant (or near enough) on the surface without ditching weight with breath control alone. Taking an extra 3 seconds to loosen the crotch strap shouldn't be an issue if you need even more. (Perhaps try it to see just how easy it is.)

Is there a particular scenario you find worrisome?

Why would you need to quickly ditch weight?

You may have forgotten what it was like as a beginner diver. He has 0-24 so far. When I was a freshly-minted (ie: overweighted) diver, the idea if ditchable weight was super important to me too. As I have gained experience and confidence (and trimmed my ballast by half), I realize it's not really that important to have droppable weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom