Is a weight belt worn under a BP/W really "ditchable"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Litefoot

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this question at the tail end of another thread, but decided to make a new thread. I know proper weighting is essential, but as a new diver, I like having the option of easily ditching weight in an emergency. To me,"ditchable" means quickly and easily shedding ballast. So, in my mind, having to unbuckle the harness, drop the crotch strap, and then unfasten and remove the weight belt wouldn't be quick nor easy for a distressed diver.

I really would like to go with a weight belt, but that aspect is a bit worrisome for me. Maybe it's something I need to try and practice to get more comfortable with it. What are your thoughts?

Edit: The other option I;m considering is the Subgravity Paragon system.

Just to add a point that I am sure is coming sooner or later, so I might as well start it now.

People frequently make a point about the indisputable fact that in the overwhelming majority of scuba fatalities, the diver is found with the weights on. That fact is cited as if dropping weights always prevents fatalities, but the truth is that it is only a very small percentage of cases in which dropping weights would have made any difference in the outcome at all.

In response to a thread on this topic years ago, I went through a couple of years of DAN fatality reports, and I could find only a few cases in which dropping weights might have made a difference. That includes cases in which the victim was found already dead on the bottom with no clear cause of death. In most of the cases in which death follows an emergency of some kind at depth, the victim makes it to the surface with no trouble and dies there, most often because of a medical emergency or an embolism caused by a rapid ascent, likely while holding the breath. In the latter case, dropping weights would have made it worse.

I don't have (easily) ditchable weights. All lead goes in trim pockets on my cambands. I dive with a single cylinder +/- side slung pony on a BPW. Even in a wetsuit with a catastrophic wing/BCD failure, I can't imagine a situation where I would be unable to ascend. I'd be far more concerned about accidental loss of a weight belt. I have seen this twice on two wrecks. One in Scotland (SS Breda) and one in Cyprus (Zenobia). In both cases, the divers were holding on for dear life with no plan for self-rescue. They were lucky that another group of divers came across them. Just my take on it. I don't claim to be an expert or have any desire to tell others how to dive.

I don't know but I used one in Roatan and hated having both belts. Next trip I'm putting weight pockets on my waist harness.
If you have unditchable weights but you still want a belt, one way to do this is to put the unditchable directly on the cam bands or on the waist harness, or in pockets (if you put them on the waist without pockets, make sure they won’t interfere too much with the d-rings, and also don’t put too much on the waist, or it will be hard to put your kit on, also you’ll need to make sure the weights are secured in case your belt clip opens)

If you have unditchable weights but you still want a belt, one way to do this is to put the unditchable directly on the cam bands or on the waist harness, or in pockets (if you put them on the waist without pockets, make sure they won’t interfere too much with the d-rings, and also don’t put too much on the waist, or it will be hard to put your kit on, also you’ll need to make sure the weights are secured in case your belt clip opens)
I'm switching from my softpack to my SS plate. I have 4 trim pockets that hold 2 lbs each, 2 on the waist and 2 on a cam band if needed. That's up to 13lbs. If I need more weight than that, I need to go somewhere warmer 😎

when I switched to a BP/W I tried many different ways of carrying the weight I need. I ended up with weight pockets the have d rings on them and do not slide around. If necessary, I could drop some weight with little hassle.
Here's what I use:

@Litefoot, unfortunately, I don't have any pics as I don't wear a weight belt. I'm not sure why putting the weight belt over/on top of the waist band would be an issue though. With that said, I agree with some of the other posters here who have suggested that if you are properly weighted, you really don't need to ditch weight anyway.

The amount of people who carry a dsmb, 2 computers, 3 cutting devices, 4 torches and 5 mike nelson shark replant sprays duct taped around their heads but keep all their weights un-dichable on a rec dive are baffling to me.
The chance that you will have to ditch weights is slim to none, just like the chance that you will lose your boat, get caught in a net or find Russian trained hammerheads poaching cocaine corral, but it's really nifty to be able to surface even if you are in the middle of a medical emergency or stuck swimming hard on the surface because you forgot to tighten your wingnuts.

And a edit because I forgot about this. Carrying a weigh belt under your harness means that once you take off your bcd
in the water you are negatively buoyant.

The amount of people who carry a dsmb, 2 computers, 3 cutting devices, 4 torches and 5 mike nelson shark replant sprays duct taped around their heads but keep all their weights un-dichable on a rec dive are baffling to me.
The chance that you will have to ditch weights is slim to none, just like the chance that you will lose your boat, get caught in a net or find Russian trained hammerheads poaching cocaine corral,
So quite probable?

And a edit because I forgot about this. Carrying a weigh belt under your harness means that once you take off your bcd
in the water you are negatively buoyant.
Exactly the way millions of divers who use weight belts with BCDs that do not have crotch straps are negatively buoyant if they take off their BCDs in the water.

If you are very much negative that way, then you are probably overweighted. It is even possible with a wet suit that you will be close to neutral.

Back
Top Bottom