Is a weight belt worn under a BP/W really "ditchable"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Litefoot

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this question at the tail end of another thread, but decided to make a new thread. I know proper weighting is essential, but as a new diver, I like having the option of easily ditching weight in an emergency. To me,"ditchable" means quickly and easily shedding ballast. So, in my mind, having to unbuckle the harness, drop the crotch strap, and then unfasten and remove the weight belt wouldn't be quick nor easy for a distressed diver.

I really would like to go with a weight belt, but that aspect is a bit worrisome for me. Maybe it's something I need to try and practice to get more comfortable with it. What are your thoughts?

Edit: The other option I;m considering is the Subgravity Paragon system.

Depends on depth, and or neoprene, I would say neutral

353 017a (1).jpg

and physical makeup

I occasionally wear a weight belt with a backplate, and under the crotch strap. It is absolutely ditchable. It also passes for ditchable weight, which I normally don’t wear, when working with classes.

I don’t recommend putting it on top of the crotch strap because it makes it ride too low and wants to slide off. A weight belt normally rides about at the belly button, while the crotch strap connects to the plate at about the tailbone, that forces the weight belt to be at or below the hips, which is not ideal.

Can you cite some examples of when you would need to dump all your weights very quickly?

We have had a number of threads on this topic over the nearly two decades I have been a ScubaBoard participant, and the scenario I see described the most is that you realize you are having a medical emergency like a serious heart attack, you fear you are about to pass out, and you want to make sure your body gets to the surface for possible medical intervention.

Perhaps you can suggest some other scenarios.
Oh good grief! I'm not going to get into an argument with the local expert on weights! You figure it out and then tell me that it never happens, ok?

I'll just keep putting my weight belt on last, over my tank straps which are over my Horse Collar BC straps! I've never had to dump my weights but I did float on the surface for quite a while in a storm. My girlfriend and I discussed dropping our lead but never really saw the need for it since we were doing fine.

get caught in a net or find Russian trained hammerheads poaching cocaine corral,

Apparently there are cocaine sharks:

This weight belt under or over and the ditchable vs non ditchable weights is one of the subjects that align everyone on one side or the other of the fence. For decades it was taught to wear the weight belt over your equipment harness. But then along came 10 pounds stainless steel plates and so to justify their use it was invented that being able to ditch weights was never needed and foolish talk. And then we get into balanced rigs, "properly" weighted and what not. Either side of the fence, probably the more important things is to understand how your particular rigging will affect you in an emergency and what procedures you will use to mitigate the emergency. In other words, it is another subject area where there may not be a correct answer, it just depends and some go either way, I do at least.

I think the last time I had ditchable weight on a recreational dive was my last single tank wreck dive in 2020. I had a DUI weight harness with my BP/W. The diving I do now doesn’t have ditchable weight (OC sidemount or CCR).

OP, if you want ditchable weight separate from your rig without having to worry about where to put weight belt, maybe look at the DUI weight harnesses. The pockets where the weights go can be ditched.

So much good input from you all and so much to digest. My focus on a weight belt stems not just from emergency ditching, but also from my desire to shed weight when I finish a shore dive so the weight of the system on my back is substantially reduced on the hike out.

So I ordered a QR crotch strap and I'll borrow a weight belt from my dive friend and experiment donning/ditching it in the shallows. If it seems like it;s going to work out, I'll probably order the rubber weight belt from Mako Spearguns.

It's a cheap experiment. I can go a different route if it doesn't work.

Most importantly, I'll devote sufficient time before each dive to achieve proper weighting.

To me it seems like the only time I would ever "need" to ditch weight, if I was properly weighted, is at the surface, my wing is broke and empty and I need to wait for the boat.

Even then, I could fiddle open trim weight pouches on my waist harness and pull out lead blocks. Or easier if they're the quick release kind.

This isn't a rhetorical question but if you have to carry all your gear from the water to the shore staging area anyway, does it make a big difference if the weight is on the harness or you're carrying a belt in your hands?

So much good input from you all and so much to digest. My focus on a weight belt stems not just from emergency ditching, but also from my desire to shed weight when I finish a shore dive so the weight of the system on my back is substantially reduced on the hike out.

I'll sometimes remove the lead from my trim pockets and thread on to a length of webbing to split the weight and make easier carriage. Again, not saying my way is best, it just works for me.

For a weight belt, the rubber freediving variety is a great choice.

To me it seems like the only time I would ever "need" to ditch weight, if I was properly weighted, is at the surface, my wing is broke and empty and I need to wait for the boat.

I got in to a situation some years ago which resulted in a long surface wait in a reasonably big sea. I got my buddy to remove the lead from the trim pockets on my cam bands. If I was alone, I would have removed my kit and done it myself. As it was, I regretted ditching the lead, but that is a story for another day.

This isn't a rhetorical question but if you have to carry all your gear from the water to the shore staging area anyway, does it make a big difference if the weight is on the harness or you're carrying a belt in your hands?
Actually, yes, it does make a difference as there can be a short, but very steep climb out of the water. Remove weight belt, exit water with remaining gear still on, lay belt aside, make the climb, dump gear at staging area, and come back for the belt. I need every advantage I can get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom