Is a weight belt worn under a BP/W really "ditchable"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Litefoot

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this question at the tail end of another thread, but decided to make a new thread. I know proper weighting is essential, but as a new diver, I like having the option of easily ditching weight in an emergency. To me,"ditchable" means quickly and easily shedding ballast. So, in my mind, having to unbuckle the harness, drop the crotch strap, and then unfasten and remove the weight belt wouldn't be quick nor easy for a distressed diver.

I really would like to go with a weight belt, but that aspect is a bit worrisome for me. Maybe it's something I need to try and practice to get more comfortable with it. What are your thoughts?

Edit: The other option I;m considering is the Subgravity Paragon system.

If you have unditchable weights but you still want a belt, one way to do this is to put the unditchable directly on the cam bands or on the waist harness, or in pockets (if you put them on the waist without pockets, make sure they won’t interfere too much with the d-rings, and also don’t put too much on the waist, or it will be hard to put your kit on, also you’ll need to make sure the weights are secured in case your belt clip opens)

I'm switching from my softpack to my SS plate. I have 4 trim pockets that hold 2 lbs each, 2 on the waist and 2 on a cam band if needed. That's up to 13lbs. If I need more weight than that, I need to go somewhere warmer 😎

FWIW, just another anecdote. I'm usually at 10 pounds; 2+2 in pockets on the top camband, and 3+3 on a belt. I recently experimented with pouches on the BP waist band instead of a belt, and I'm planning to switch back to the belt.

I found the pouches on the waistband a little more awkward than I expected when donning, plus I realized it's nice to have a belt available that pretty well offsets my wetsuit, in case of sudden free dive opportunities.

FWIW, just another anecdote. I'm usually at 10 pounds; 2+2 in pockets on the top camband, and 3+3 on a belt. I recently experimented with pouches on the BP waist band instead of a belt, and I'm planning to switch back to the belt.

I found the pouches on the waistband a little more awkward than I expected when donning, plus I realized it's nice to have a belt available that pretty well offsets my wetsuit, in case of sudden free dive opportunities.
yeah if you are wearing a wetsuit and want to be able to freedive and scuba dive, a weight belt loaded with the proper amount of lead suitable for freediving is a good idea. With aluminum tank, I would need to add a little lead to the harness.. maybe 4-5 lbs and I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to ditch that. With steel tank, no extra lead on the harness or often with a thin suit, NO weightbelt is needed.

Plus, if you ever need to remove the scuba tank while at depth (to clear entanglements etc.) it is MUCH better to have enough lead on your body to be reasonably stable and not fighting to stay down - which complicates the resolution of your entanglement issue.

I got really frustrated with my waist belt mounted pockets on my last dive. They kept moving around and interfering with my D-ring access. I could get better pockets that won't move, but decided to just go back to a weight belt. What do people recommend these days? I've seen "rubber" free dive weight belts or just good old webbing style.

I got really frustrated with my waist belt mounted pockets on my last dive. They kept moving around and interfering with my D-ring access. I could get better pockets that won't move, but decided to just go back to a weight belt. What do people recommend these days? I've seen "rubber" free dive weight belts or just good old webbing style.
I use a webbing belt but have a spring loaded buckle that works really well.

They kept moving around
Best solution I've found: a strip of inner tube.
1692903518804.png

Put a triglide on your waist belt to keep them in place. One on either side of the pocket or just on the buckle side to prevent it from sliding forward while diving.

Put a triglide on your waist belt to keep them in place. One on either side of the pocket or just on the buckle side to prevent it from sliding forward while diving.

I did that and still found them a bit in the way. (To be fair, I have a smaller waist than some, and therefore less room.) Plus pro-belt arguments above in 41 and 42.

I did that and still found them a bit in the way. (To be fair, I have a smaller waist than some, and therefore less room.) Plus pro-belt arguments above in 41 and 42.
I have pockets on my BP/W harness and a wear a belt so I use this method. Cold water diving in a dry suit.

I think the webbing on these pockets just stretch out too much when wet and loaded. I don't think triglides would keep them in place. Pockets:

And I have both these and inner tubes and it jumped right over both:

I don't feel 100% confident in my weighting just yet but maybe I move it all to my back cambands?

I got really frustrated with my waist belt mounted pockets on my last dive. They kept moving around and interfering with my D-ring access.
I put a triglide on the side towards the center of my belly. It holds it in place. If you are worried about it slipping over the triglide, the plastic ones are larger.

Or you can get one of the DGX pockets that has a split in the belt slide so you can fit a triglide in the middle.

dx-101003_6a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom