Is Air Free ?? It might be

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trever:
SCUBA Bottles? :06:
Sorry, you can get bottles of oxygen, helium, etc which are 6000psi.

Tanked2.0:
Are you anti LDS?

Nope, but some people don't have access to a good LDS. I have used 4 Dive shops in my life, I like 2, I hate 1 and the jury is out on 1. Just trying to put information out there that may help people. Isn't that what this board is for?

cornfed:
Sorry, you can get bottles of oxygen, helium, etc which are 6000psi.

Really?!? Having worked in the medical field for 5 years, I've never seen, an oxygen, helium, or any tank over 3000psi. I'm not saying they don't exist, they just can't be that common.

I checked around last year at 4 different gas suppliers and nobody would touch a dive tank. Most would state that it was liability issue or something similar.

Yes a Oxygen bottle is life support but if it fails then there is still oxgen in the air that is around you. It may not be what you need at the time but you probably won't die. Were as if your dive tank goes south during a dive..I will let you fill in the blank.

Sorry about the CO2 pressure, I have a couple that aren't that high.

As for the air fill issue, there are MANY posts here about using a VFD for air fills. I personally haven't tried it but I figured that if I can't afford a $5 bottle of air then I don't need to be diving. Again some won't fill for the public due to liability.

Tanked2.0:
Really?!? Having worked in the medical field for 5 years, I've never seen, an oxygen, helium, or any tank over 3000psi. I'm not saying they don't exist, they just can't be that common.
No, they aren't that common in the medical field, but they do have them. In fact you can even get a 10% overfill, which would mean 6600psi...of course, at 465 ft3, that would be some bottom time :crafty: however, the 250 lbs. of tank might suck putting on :D

Tanked2.0:

Yes. really. The tanks for the cascade on my engine are rated and filled to 6000 psi. So are the tanks in the bank on our compressor. They are VERY common.

crpntr133:
As for the air fill issue, there are MANY posts here about using a VFD for air fills. I personally haven't tried it but I figured that if I can't afford a $5 bottle of air then I don't need to be diving. Again some won't fill for the public due to liability.

I can afford air fills, no problem there, I am only offering alternatives, I never considered air fills to be much of an expense on my part. Some people may have to drive 2 hours to get to a LDS for an air fill and may want to look at other alternatives. I can drop my tanks off at a local welding shop on Monday and have them back on Wednesday filled. I know the business they send them to and I can take them there during business hours and have them filled while I wait. I am blessed I know but I am just trying to give some people, hopefuly, useful information.

Trever:
Now don't get me wrong, if I where to use mixed gas I would think that a LDS would have the edge over a compressed gas business.

It depends, Want hypoxic trimix and a bottle of 50% nitrox and Don't want to show a C card? Go to your local gas supplier ( Not a welding supply ), they'll mix you anything you want as long as it's not toxic if released into the atmosfere. They'll also get your PPs to .01%, Of course y'll pay more than the LDS charges you.

crpntr133:
I checked around last year at 4 different gas suppliers and nobody would touch a dive tank. Most would state that it was liability issue or something similar.

You need to find out where the LDS gets Their hydros done - I assure you, they aren't doing it themselves!! they are takeing those bottles somewhere haveing them hydroed and marking up the cost. I'm not sure where to look for the info but if you look at a hydro stamp on a tank, y'll see a month number a year number and in between there's a symbol. That symbol is unique and is issued by DOT when a hydro test license is issued, it IDs the hydroer.

Trever,
I agree with you, this is a good place to give out information. And yours may be of value to many, thanks. I also have ALL of my hydro, and vip work done away from the LDS. I use a local fire ext. repair/installation co. The vis is usually done on the spot, while I watch, and he ALWAYS checks for cracks as well. It only costs $20.00 for a hydro, vip, and fill. And for the most part, I have my tanks back in a couple of days. You have to look around to get the best deal, and service, and many folks don't know about these services from other companys. Personally, I like to hear what others are doing to keep the cost down, or get better service. It has nothing to do with being a LDS basher. I have a great relationship with mine.

Back
Top Bottom