Is an inline adjustment tool necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mazziekhan

Registered
Reaction score
hi all,

im going to start servicing my regs and i was wondering if an inline adjustment tool is really necessary for the 2nd stage? i have been checking out the one at scubatools..i already have an ip gauge so do i need to purchase the one for the inline adj tool if i need the tool at all?

any advice is appreciated...

thanks.

No, it is not necessary. In fact, it will not work on some regulators. It may take you more time, but you can get the same results without the tool. Time is $$ if you are doing this for profit so the tool should be fairly common in a shop environment.

For personal use I have managed fine without one.

The Regulator holder that screws into a port is worth having.

I also have a large adjustable reserved for yoke nuts, din adapters and Sherwood first stage body caps. Stanley has a model with an extra wide range. I think they call it the WideMouth and it has a 12 inch handle for about $12 at Wal-mart.

Brass and stainless picks are worth getting too.

Most everything else is common stuff though it's a set that stays in the save-a-dive toolbox.

Pete

They make life easier but I do fine without one.
For a reg holder, I use 3/8 SAE fine thread bolts, installed finger tight and then a nut snugged down behind it to take a little stress off the hole.
You will also need a magnahelic gauge or build a manometer (what I did) to check the cracking pressure and exhaust pressure of the second stage.

You will also need a magnahelic gauge or build a manometer (what I did) to check the cracking pressure and exhaust pressure of the second stage.

I finally broke down and purchased a magnahelic on ebay. I have put most of my rigs on it and, while it is nice having a number, I doubt if my regs are going to breath any better than they did just using a sink full of water.

Regarding the inline adjustment tool, I took a old flathead screwdriver out of my toolbox and filed it down to the correct size. Didn't cost me anything and it works fine. Usually takes a few tries to get the adjustment correct, but that only takes a few minutes.

I finally broke down and purchased a magnahelic on ebay. I have put most of my rigs on it and, while it is nice having a number, I doubt if my regs are going to breath any better than they did just using a sink full of water.

I agree, I am just a little of a numbers junkie....did that tweek really drop the cracking pressure by 1/8 of an inch or not. Besides, the blue water in my manometer looks cool. :)

No, it is not necessary. In fact, it will not work on some regulators. It may take you more time, but you can get the same results without the tool. Time is $$ if you are doing this for profit so the tool should be fairly common in a shop environment.

Two thoughts:

#1 Which regs does it not work on? The Allen wrench types or the older USD types?

#2 If yu buy an inline adjuster, get one that srpings away from the orifice under pressure.

This one is annoying:
2nd stage inline adjustment tool with gauge - IST - Pressure Checker Gauges - Scuba diving
this one is nice, but only works on the flat scredriver type crowns:
2ND STAGE INLINE ADJUSTMENT TOOL SCUBA GEAR PSI CHECKER - IST - Pressure Checker Gauges - Scuba diving

540.gif

The Scuba Tools Inc. Dual Drive In-line Adjusting Tool is pneumatically balanced for ease of use and will fit any reg. with screw driver slot, 3/16" hex or 5mm hex on the tool engagement end of the orifice.
Thus the name Dual Drive.
If any one knows of any regulators that our Dual Drive does not work on, please let us know. We can most likely remedy that problem. We will soon be coming out with 2 new adapters for making adjustments on breathable inflators.
Thanks
Scuba Tools Inc.

The Scuba Tools Inc. Dual Drive In-line Adjusting Tool is pneumatically balanced for ease of use and will fit any reg. with screw driver slot, 3/16" hex or 5mm hex on the tool engagement end of the orifice.
Thus the name Dual Drive.
If any one knows of any regulators that our Dual Drive does not work on, please let us know. We can most likely remedy that problem. We will soon be coming out with 2 new adapters for making adjustments on breathable inflators.
Thanks
Scuba Tools Inc.

I can probably find you, but if you were to include a link to your site in these posts, I for one would appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom