Is anyone concerned about this spreading to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lights constantly being on freaks me out. Conditioning from US police only putting the lights during emergencies (or me speeding).
Police trucks have been driving around Cozumel with their red and blue lights on slow flash for many years.

Police trucks have been driving around Cozumel with their red and blue lights on slow flash for many years.

My BiL pulled over for them and then thought I was fleeing when I kept on driving with them behind me.

Taking up for the Municipal Police, there aren't enough of them, they are under paid, under trained and unsupported in the law. You get what you pay for. And Cozumel is a big city compared perhaps to how it feels to us as a little tiny island home.

For instance, I know of a burglary discover while the homeowner was away. Broken window and no idea if anyone was still inside. Municipal Police were not allowed to enter, even with a rep there with a key. And prosecution of crimes is notoriously difficult and burdensome on the victim as they have to go on their own to make an official report and all.

My personal experience, I had some electronics stolen by a juvenile. I was able to locate the juvenile and identify him. I was able to enlist the municipal police to help. Of course, like everything in MX, I knew a guy who knew a guy. Anyway, they participated in the sting and nailed the kid and recovered all the stuff after some spirited interrogation. Well be it after I paid a 'tip' for their help and rushing the 'red tape' to get my items released right away, but I was happy to do so as they did get the job done. Of course there was no prosecution as juvenile criminal procedures are pretty much a waste of time. I have observed the MP in action a few times and they seem to be doing the best they can under the condition they have to deal with.

And most or all of Mexico, too. The USA is where I spend the majority of my time, however (and unfortunately).

The party scene is what will attract the narcos. Cancun and Playa have much more of that that Coz.

On a negative note, I walked through the San Francisco Beach Club a few months back.... and the time it took me to get through the club portion on the beach I had been asked four times if I wanted to buy drugs.

On a negative note, I walked through the San Francisco Beach Club a few months back.... and the time it took me to get through the club portion on the beach I had been asked four times if I wanted to buy drugs.

Just a guess, but I would wager that it is the cruise ship crowds that hit the beach clubs hard that attract the dealers. If you are a rational seller, you go where your market is, and boatloads of cruisers dedicated to intoxication seems like a prime market for purveyors of recreational drugs. The good news is that rational sellers won't do anything to kill this market. There won't be violent crime to the extent that it endangers the cruise ship crowds - they don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I think the issues have not so much been targeting tourists but fighting between rival drug dealing gangs and collateral damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom