Is anyone familar with Tzoonie Narrows in Sechelt Inlet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering diving Tzoonie Narrows but am wondering how extreme the currents are.

It would be nice to know how the speed of current at Tzoone Narrows compares to Sechelt Rapids on the same day? I expect that a lot less water runs through Tzoonie although it is a lot narrower.

deepdiverbc:
I am considering diving Tzoonie Narrows but am wondering how extreme the currents are.

It would be nice to know how the speed of current at Tzoone Narrows compares to Sechelt Rapids on the same day? I expect that a lot less water runs through Tzoonie although it is a lot narrower.

Tzoonie is pretty tame compared to the Skookumchuck. Peak tidal current at Tzoonie is about 4 knots, and you'd typically dive it with a lot less than that. The day I went was one of the days that people were diving the Skookumchuck, and the current at Tzoonie was maybe 0.5 knots - just a nice, leisurely drift. It's a beautiful dive, max depth of about 55 ft, great life. My wife complained that it just didn't last long enough!

AtomicWalrus:
Tzoonie is pretty tame compared to the Skookumchuck. Peak tidal current at Tzoonie is about 4 knots, and you'd typically dive it with a lot less than that. The day I went was one of the days that people were diving the Skookumchuck, and the current at Tzoonie was maybe 0.5 knots - just a nice, leisurely drift. It's a beautiful dive, max depth of about 55 ft, great life. My wife complained that it just didn't last long enough!

This weekend the Skookumchuck is running at 12-13 kts. I was wondering how safe Tzoonie would be on a day when the Skookumchuck is running fast. I guess 4kts is the maximum there.

It sounds that for such a short dive it would be best to dive on a low exchange or the dive would be over too quick, unless we can time the turn and do it both directions.

We might try 9 mile point or Halfway lt instead for dive #2.

Thanks for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom