Is Bonne Terre worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonne Terre is cool and I'll be back. Dive guides are excellent, there is a lead guide and a safety guide at the rear so if a diver has problems they can deal with it and take them up if necessary while the lead guide remains focused on the group. The "no lights" rule is often waived after the first dive IF they can see you are good divers and follow instructions, i.e. keep up with group, stay on the path, observe proper light "etiquette", etc. It is fairly regimented as it has to be, the rules are for your safety.

Be aware the water is cold, around 58 degrees. You'll want at least a 5mm with hood and gloves, or a dry suit. The guides dive dry. Of course, it remains that temp year round so in the winter that may be warmer than your other options.

You will definately get opinions from both extremes about Bonne Terre. I dove it several months ago and didn't really care for it. There were 4 divers in our group - 2 loved it and 2 will probably never go back. I think it is something to do once to see if you like it, but I definately would not drive 14 hours to dive it or pass up on Florida to dive it.

I heard many stories about the owners and staff being pretty much "asses". I really didn't find this to be true. The owner is a business man and yes registering is a little strange - he emails you your credit card receipt and expects it to be signed and faxed back ASAP. I know of no other place that does this, just give the credit card number and your good to go. Hit me like, "I don't trust you" right off the back. However, I found everybody (owner and staff) to be great once I got there.

I understand why they have such a regimented way of doing things....you have to start on trail one and move to the next trails by order. This is a big turn off to many, but they have to do it this way. I guess my big issue is with the "cattle herd" concept. I personally don't do well with this in confined areas. It's a personal thing and found that after the 2nd dive, I really didn't want to do this and ended the dive. Not there fault, my fault - Floating into the abyss with people kicking you is not my definition of a dive I want to do. I don't necessarilly have issues with overhead environments, but if you do, it's not the dive for you because there are many.

I could go on and if you search the forum you will find many opinions. It boils down to me, I'm glad I did it, but won't be back - not my cup of tea. My opinion, even if I really liked the dive, I wouldn't drive 14 hours and/or give up Florida for it.

Snagel

I have not dove Bonne Terre yet. The photos in the scuba mags make it look attractive. I personally would dive it if I were already in the area. If I am going to travel to dive, I want more to look at. Below is some info to help with the decision.

I dove Key Largo Florida a few months ago. We stayed at a hotel called the
Marina Del Mar

It is located at the 100 mile marker in Key Largo. The area has LOTS of scuba operations within a hundred yards, so it is not difficult to find a boat.

We used a scuba operation called (Rainbow Reef).

I was especially impressed with how helpful the boat captain was.

We dove the reefs named: the Bentwood, French, Wench, and Molassas. I thought the dives were excellent.
The water was only 40 feet deep and there was good visability. The reefs had lots of structure and lots of sealife.

Short boat ride, easy dives, and great opportunities for photos.

[fv]1229107132513[/fv]

Dive safely and have fun!

Here is a link to images I shot while on assignment for Scuba Diving Magazine in 2008. I thought it was an awesome dive experience though I admit I did get special treatment and was able to dive some advanced trails. I'd still go back even if I had to do the progression most do. It's a unique environment that divers really can't experience anywhere else. But I love diving the Keys as well. Just did a few dives in Key Largo last Friday. I'd say Bonne Terre is more unique and the Keys way less structured. Do you want to dive in an old mine in a controlled environment or see loads of cool marine life in a less controlled environment?

I really like Bonne Terre, but it may be better to do it as part of another trip. That is, if you were coming out this was for something else. I don’t think I would pass up Florida or the Atlantic coast to go there.
Bonne Terre is definitely a place you want to do at least once. I’ve done 3 of the trails, and plan to go back for more. Some people like it a lot and some hate it. It’s not for everyone. For some, the closed spaces are uncomfortable, and for others the open spaces are uncomfortable. Most of the dive is open to the surface, but it’s not always easy to tell when you are in and overhead area. The lights are not as bright as you are lead to believe. Several times we crossed extremely large rooms with no bottom in sight. These areas can be very disorienting, as you appear to not be moving. It also makes it hard to control buoyancy with no close by visual references, so you have to keep an eye on your gages to make sure you not shooting to the surface are plunging to the abyss.
Some people do not like having a guide. This place is extremely big, and there is no way they will ever turn people loose to dive it on there own. So if that’s a deal breaker for you, this dive is not for you.
Having a light would be helpful when your close to stuff, but a lot of the time your in big spaces that a light would never reach anything. Also, the guides use their lights to signal each other, so having everyone using a light would make this more difficult.
We did the first 3 trails, and there were a number of overhead areas (overhanges/tunnels/holes) that some of our group would not do. So if your not comfortable in tight places this could be a problem.
I’m would guess that things lighten up a little for return customers, assuming that everyone is familiar and on the same page.
With that said, this is a very unique and cool dive. The only thing I can think of that may compare is the cenotes of Mexico. So definitely put it on your list of dives to make.

Disclaimer: I'm a local, have never been there, and have no interest in the place whatsoever.
But it's absolutely not worth a 14 hr drive. It's hard to qualify it as diving as you are herded through a fixed path by the guides. Most people I've discussed it with would say it's neat to do once, but hardly a once-in-a-lifetime experience...more of a tourist trap.

For that kind of thing, you have great wreck diving much closer to you.

Just a question - why comment if you have never been there? If you have never been there, how do you know it's absolutely not worth a 14 hr drive? Just saying... It may be totally worth it to some people.

I made a trip to Bonne Terre in January 2009. Was it interesting? To me it was. Would it do it again? Perhaps, if I can stand the cold (I'm not dry suit certified). No fish life at all with the exception of a lone bass that waits to be fed near the entry point. It's definitely a unique experience. I didn't find it to be a tourist trap at all. We went on a slow weekend and our last dive was over an hour. From what I understand that is not the norm, especially if there are lot of divers there. Have to admit I was more than ready to end the last dive, brrr...

I drove down with a group from Toronto a few years ago and found it interesting. Would I do it again, only if I was in the area for other reasons, I would not make a long drive to do it again but would be happy to make the longer drive to Florida for diving at any opportunity.

I've done in excess of 30 dives in the mine even did my open water referal there and I drive from Omaha, 8 hours each direction. Of course by driving I don't have to worry about No-Fly restrictions!!!

Personally, I love the site but I dive dry but and I love cold dark dives. It was the walk through tour 5 years ago that got me interested in diving... "Wow, would be cool if you could dive here... You can!"

Is it the type of diving everyone will enjoy? No!
Is it worth the experience? Hell yes!
58 degree water
40-100 feet visibility depending on surface run off conditions
Tanks provided
Weights can be rented (Sure beats carrying them in and out)

The light restriction is more for HIDs and larger units, small backup lights are perfectly welcome after the checkout dive.

I've never had a need for aknife as there's no monofiliment to worry about but Z knives and sissors are fine.

Cameras are very welcome after the first dive, if you shoot video just make sure not to blind anyone!!!!

As for the staff, it's second to none! No pressure, no egos, just SAFE diving.

I recommend that my warm water friends to consider Bonne Terre a distination dive like the blue hole and enjoy it for what it is... heck a couple of them enjoyed it enough to actually invest in Drysuits.

In the end, it's your vacation, your money do what you enjoy most or try something new.

I have never been and I live in St. Louis it's not too far away. I have been torn on whether to fork out the dough to dive it. The quote that TIMLE posted is right on the money, and to add to his post. There are levels or tiers that are set for divers. If I recall correctly everyone starts out on a very basic guided tour. Then if you return at some point I think within a year, you can take the next guided dive on the next level. You have to use Bonne Terre's tanks you can not bring your own etc...

The ONLY reason I would consider diving Bonne Terre is that I am from St. Louis, Missouri. It seems that everywhere I go diving outside of Missouri (Florida, Hawaii, mexico where ever). Divers always ask if I have been to Bonne Terre Mine? On of these days I might just answer "YES, I have!"

We need to get you down there this winter, Blu! Now that you have a drysuit it will be very enjoyable, and it does make a great 1-day excursion. It is the warmest dive around in the winter, at least for those who don't dive our local caves. Let's work on a date consensus among our regular group of dry divers.

theskull

Back
Top Bottom