Is Bonne Terre worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe it is only open during the weekends so if you are planning on more than a couple of days of diving that will impact your plans.

Been there twice. Both times it was our group of 3 and 2 to 4 others. BY sunday the other group left and it was just the three of us.

The staff was exceptional once they figured out that they did not have to hold our hands. We were allowed to bring lights later.

A dry suit definitly helps! You do not want to shlep weights or tanks from top to bottom.

Finances allowing I would probably go back in the future.

Some people consider Tahoe a once in lifetime type dive because they find nothing interesting. Diving it for the past 10 years and I still finding something new or different. To each their own as they say.

I have reserved my spot to dive Bonne Terre on Sunday, February 28, 2010. Y-Kiki Divers fun diving club has decided to get a group of divers together to dive the mine. This is NOT an exclusive event, if you're interested feel free to go with us! RSVP soon...don't be left out!

Y-kiki Divers • Local Diving • St. Louis

I have 35 dives at Bonne Terre Mine.Once you dive the rotator and the city you are basically done with the # trails ,I think the city is around trail 23 or 24.The last 2 trips we have dove "Bear Trails" which are led by Bear and he asks you where you want to go.I just say where ever you want to explore.I have made many trips to dive the wrecks off NC and I have over 150 dives in the Keys.None of them compares with Bonne Terre Mine.If you want cotton candy go to the Keys.If you want to be challenged go to Bonne Terre Mine.

To any divers from Central Ohio:I am going to the mine over MLK weekend.I will be leaving 1/15 which is a Friday and come home Sunday afternoon after my second dive.The Mine is 400 miles from Columbus.I have a F-350 4 dr truck with plenty of room. If anyone is interested my email is Crane3531@sbcglobal.net

SeaHound,

Its a unique experience. Extremely cold. My father and I only did 2 dives there. He suffers from a circulatory condition called Renard's (sp) syndrome and he was unable to complete the 2nd dive (actually I had to force him to abort) because of the cold. If you've never dove truly cold water before, I wouldn't start here.

SeaHound,

Its a unique experience. Extremely cold. My father and I only did 2 dives there. He suffers from a circulatory condition called Renard's (sp) syndrome and he was unable to complete the 2nd dive (actually I had to force him to abort) because of the cold. If you've never dove truly cold water before, I wouldn't start here.

I believe the water temperature is about 58 F year round. For some people that is considered cold water, for others it is toward the higher end of the temperature range that they are used to. Cold is a relative term.

I have been diving for 28 years and have been diving in everything from Ocean to Norfork Lake. Bonne Terre is an excellent dive and I believe all divers should experience it at least once. People are friendly and the diving is incredible. 2 weeks ago is the first time that I have been to Bonne Terre, I will definitely be back.

Bonne Terre is where I did my open water training dives, and it's the only place I've dived at this point so my opinion may be of limited utility. I think it's a pretty interesting place. The water was crystal clear during my training dives, and there is a lot of intriguing geometry to the place. At times it felt like I was flying through a mountain range. Other times I was nervously skirting chasms and holes filled with nothing but dark foreboding.

The water felt pretty darn cold to me on the first day, but I didn't even notice it on the second. I was wearing a 7mm wetsuit, hood, and no gloves. In some of the larger areas you have no reference points at all, so buoyancy control is difficult (especially if you're on your fourth dive ever).

I'm going back for my first post-OWT dives this weekend, and I'll be doing more training there next month.

Back
Top Bottom