Is Calypsonick ok in East Timor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Haven't seen a post from Nick in awhile.

With all the turmoil in East Timor I am wondering if he is okay?

he was online on the 10th....hope that's a good sign

Thanks all, for the concern! I haven't had time to check in since getting back to Timor about a week ago, after evacuating to Singapore. Lots of displaced people to provide services to!! Needless to say, the beautiful reefs of Timor will not be visited by many a tourist in the very near future.

The security situation is stable with Aussie, New Zealand and Malaysian troops here. Only the occasional gunshot or grenade at night. The UN is proposing quite a number of UN police officers in the months to come. Gilligan, if you want to come out of retirement, there's probably some work for you out here ;-)

I will try to get in the water soon, at least as stress release, and may have some pics to share in the next couple weeks. Cross your fingers.

Nick

Glad to hear you are your family are safe. I hope things will get back to normal there soon.

Relieved to hear from you, Nick. Stay safe!

How about another update? With the resignation of the PM, things might settle down, at least that is the way the media tells it, or is that not how it seems on the ground?

Alison

Thanks Alison. We are trying to figure out what it will mean to the population but initial reaction is celebrations all over Dili with protesters going through town in processions cheering as they go.

It is not official though. The President must accept and then it must go to Parliament for them to approve. So, still in process.

The big question though is whether the estimated 145,000 people who either left the capital, Dili or who are in displaced camps in and around Dili will feel confident to return to their homes given the underlying East/West tensions that were an issue at the beginning of this crisis. It is always the little people who suffer the most!

We will see............

Back
Top Bottom