Is cave diving safer than Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMHO, but the only way to answer the question would be…maybe. Not every cave dive is some major expedition in extreme conditions to map some new system just like every open water dive is not conducted in crystal clear water at 40 feet. The only way to approach the question is to compare a specific cave dive to a specific open water dive and then decide by whatever risk assessment you use to determine which dive may be “safer” compared to the other. While diving can be as safe as you can try and make it, human error either in preparation or response is the most likely cause when a dive results in a fatality.

All divers have their own paradigm on what they may identify as being “safe” and what might appear dangerous to one, may be considered completely safe to another. It’s difficult to compare the unknown if you have no experience with each side of the argument. It’s natural for folks to defend their own perspective. While cave divers may argue that cave diving is more dangerous, deep divers with long deco obligations may argue that these dives are more dangerous just as those involved in ice diving versus pentrating wreck dives may find these types of dives are more dangerous than other diving disciplines.

So I will circle back around when comparing any two dives with a simple “maybe” as you need all of the specifics of the dives you are comparing to make a “best guess” opinion on which may be identified as safer over the other. Granted, it’s easy to make a blanket statement and say one is inherently safer than the other but that negates specifics that could change the answer from one side to the other. Whatever type of dive you attempt, take each one serious as even the easiest of dives can result in tragedy if you are not careful and plan accordingly.

Actually, a fair number of ppl get badly injured/killed playing golf. Struck in head by small hard ball traveling at high speeds.
Lightning strikes, alligator attacks from water hazards, golf cart demolition derby, cerebral hemorrhage from missing 1 ft putts, severe dehydration from not carrying enough martinis on hot days, wandering around in the rough and being attacked by pythons from the everglades, getting bored to death by being partnered with a financial advisor/crypto freak. There are many risks in playing golf which is why I agree with furio on this:

JMHO, but the only way to answer the question would be…maybe. Not every cave dive is some major expedition in extreme conditions to map some new system just like every open water dive is not conducted in crystal clear water at 40 feet. The only way to approach the question is to compare a specific cave dive to a specific open water dive and then decide by whatever risk assessment you use to determine which dive may be “safer” compared to the other. While diving can be as safe as you can try and make it, human error either in preparation or response is the most likely cause when a dive results in a fatality.

All divers have their own paradigm on what they may identify as being “safe” and what might appear dangerous to one, may be considered completely safe to another. It’s difficult to compare the unknown if you have no experience with each side of the argument. It’s natural for folks to defend their own perspective. While cave divers may argue that cave diving is more dangerous, deep divers with long deco obligations may argue that these dives are more dangerous just as those involved in ice diving versus pentrating wreck dives may find these types of dives are more dangerous than other diving disciplines.

So I will circle back around when comparing any two dives with a simple “maybe” as you need all of the specifics of the dives you are comparing to make a “best guess” opinion on which may be identified as safer over the other. Granted, it’s easy to make a blanket statement and say one is inherently safer than the other but that negates specifics that could change the answer from one side to the other. Whatever type of dive you attempt, take each one serious as even the easiest of dives can result in tragedy if you are not careful and plan accordingly.
Well said!

Most cave diving deaths are not on major expeditions to map new cave. The people who die cave diving are almost always just doing “regular” dives.

You are trapped in the weeds. If the question had been, is winter colder than summer, would you have said "maybe," or, "generally, yes."

Apples to apples for me, I "feel" much more comfortable in The Pit @ Eagles Nest than 300' deep off the wall in Cayman.

90+ minutes of deco obligation for both. No current and a line to take me home in the Nest. Although the deco is way nicer in Cayman.

You are trapped in the weeds. If the question had been, is winter colder than summer, would you have said "maybe," or, "generally, yes."
Like I stated, just my humble opinion. I tend to think about possibilities when the question is better served with a clearer response over generalizations.
Most cave diving deaths are not on major expeditions to map new cave. The people who die cave diving are almost always just doing “regular” dives.
Not debating where most of the deaths occur during cave diving. The point being, a cave dive, just as in any other type of diving, can vary from easy to extremely difficult so details matter when you compare one to another as they are not always equal in their safety factor or difficulty.

There is an old thread on SB about Why do you cave dive?
My favorite answer was (paraphrased): I like to stare death in the face. And then, when I get off I-75, I like to dive in quiet, clear, fresh water.

Added: it was the Cave Diver Forum, not SB. See Shocking Risks Taken Solo.
I can see it in the thread subject: Solo driving …

Apples to apples for me, I "feel" much more comfortable in The Pit @ Eagles Nest than 300' deep off the wall in Cayman.

90+ minutes of deco obligation for both. No current and a line to take me home in the Nest. Although the deco is way nicer in Cayman.
Any dive with planned decompression is not an open water dive! You have a physiological rather than physical ceiling.

Cave diving is much more dangerous than simple open water diving.
Totally agree..... But complex open water dives can be more dangerous than many of the less complex cave dives..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom