Is certification necessary for a first time dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tensai77

New
Reaction score
I'm a complete newbie to scuba diving. Currently planning a trip to Cozumel and want to try scuba diving to see if it's for me. Do I have to be certified before trying it?

you can take a discovery class.. look into it it'll cost you around $50, but it might only be in a pool session.

Not at all. Any SCUBA shop will be able to offer you a trial experience after a short (some people say too short) classroom session.

Ask for a "Discover SCUBA". You can also do this locally in a pool with an instructor. if you like it, maybe you can do the full course before your vacation.

No. Most (if not all) shops will have a "Discover Scuba". In the PADI world its basically the first class of scuba lessons.

I did mine in the Cayman Islands back in '95.

JeffG:
No. Most (if not all) shops will have a "Discover Scuba". In the PADI world its basically the first class of scuba lessons.

I did mine in the Cayman Islands back in '95.

And look at ya now...Mr. 242 feet!!! :wink:

SCUBAJENNIFER:
And look at ya now...Mr. 242 feet!!! :wink:
so lets see....12 yrs...thats ~20ft per yr. :wink:

JeffG:
.."Discover Scuba". In the PADI world its basically the first class of scuba lessons.

That's how many got hooked on this..... I did mine and then bought 5 more dives with a DM that same trip.....

As others have said.. Discover SCUBA gives you a taste of diving without certification.. If you get hooked.. you can always do your classroom & pool sessions at home.. and do your checkout dives & more in Cozumel.

A "resort course" (read that "Discover Scuba") in Cozumel did it for me. I can remember thinking two thoughts at 45 feet after only a morning session around the pool and a quick shallow shore dive:
1) What the heck am I doing here!?
2) Having the time of my life! The first thing I'm doing when I get back is find a certifying dive center!

Only regret was in waiting so long.

Have fun!

Some All-Inclusives in the Caribbean offer the Discover Scuba as an included activity. My girlfriend at the time did it in Breezes Curacao they did an hour in the clasroom and an hour in the pool and then took her to 25 feet on the house reef.

Cheers.

-J.-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom