• Ontario Fresh Water Freaks

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Crazy Coldwater Canucks

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Shut Up Jim!!

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Texas which is filled with Canadian nurses and Mexican service workers there is a somewhat derogatory although I must say pretty funny takeoff on the clearly derogatory 'wetback'.

What do some Texans call us Canadians, but 'snowbacks' !

Oh well I think we have pretty thick skins. Must say I laughed when I heard that one :D

seahunter once bubbled...
Don't worry about calling us Canucks wreckwriter!

We like the name. Check its origin in Dude's post. Translated into American, "Canuck" means 'Canadian World Champions'.

And we are on top!

WreckWriter once bubbled...
As used here,<Canucks> is considered derogatory. Is it not seen that way up there?
WW

WW - it's also the name of the Vancouver NHL team (as opposed to the Montreal one, where Canadians/Canadiens is commonly pronounced "Habs") It's about as derogatory as "Hoosier" or "Buckeye" (and possibly less).

As for the OFWF - even when you don't consider the distances involved, how much does diving in Ontario resemble diving in say, the Pacific NW or in the Maritimes/Nfld regions? Probably not much. Might make more sense for the Canucks in the Atlantic region to hook up with the New Englanders and perhaps the PNWers in Oregon, Washington, B.C. and Alaska could form another NDI club. It's not about national boundaries, after all, right? How many Americans from the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Seaway zones think of themselves as Fellow Freaks?

Just my $0.02 - it's not like I'm still living in Ontario right now - but when I come back there to dive again, I'm definitely a Freak. :wink:

Addendum: The Crazy Canucks were late 70's to early 80's and a lot of them are still skiing (and the ones I've met are still crazy!).

Never tell you to shut up...........I think the "Freaks" is ok.....We are open to taking honary members.....basically anyone who can come up with the US$100.00 fee....(Payable to Butch's RRSP fund) :wink: ............

I have to agree with Cat, we in Ontario have different dive conditions than those in the PNW and the Atlantic, and of course the praries.

WW the term canuck as previously explained is worn with a great sense of pride.

With this in mind ...do you folks down south find the term "Yanks"...derogitory?.....Maybe just the folks south of the Mason-Dixon?.......

Thanks for your concern and interest..... :)

of course your at home on the board but at your real home you more than likely get a few more adjectives with it. LOL

I've always heard "canuck" used as a slur. I did know there was a team using it though.

WW

Having spent five years in Michigans great north of the Upper Peninsula, spent a lot of time around Canadians.

Most of them i knew took "canuck" as a term of endearment. They liked it. Kinda like calling people who live in the UP yoopers.

Yoopers call us people below the Mackinaw bridge, trolls. That started way before computers were invented by the way.

Maybe we could have a spot for the rest of Canadians.
I like the name Crazy Coldwater Canuck's.

I've always heard "canuck" used as a slur. I did know there was a team using it though.

Typical Yank opinion, no knowledge of anything that is happening outside US borders. Unless,of course, it concerns oil. :wink: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom