Is Coronavirus keeping you from booking liveaboard/overseas trips this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The full explanation is yet to be found, but Germany appears to report a number of deaths which is inexplicably low. Most people here think they are cheating...
Why does Germany have so few coronavirus deaths?

Thanks Angelo for posting that article.

Here is the money quote:
"He focused on the need to protect the high-risk group of people by not exposing them in the first place."

Here is the second money quote:
"On Wednesday, Chancellor Angela Merkel had announced that it is likely that 60 to 70 per cent of the German population will get infected eventually and argued that it is important to delay that process as much as possible."

She is correct.

We collectively, should focus on quarantining the most vulnerable. The rest of us need to go about our lives and create herd immunization. Protect and keep vulnerable people from being infected and let our economies resume before a depression kills more than the virus itself. Anarchy is more dangerous than COVID-19. The vast majority of young people who have Wuhan, are asymptomatic. Which should be used to our collective benefit. The rest of us who are healthy will have to deal with cold like or flu like symptoms.

We are shutting down our economies in order to save the vulnerable. And they are dying anyway. Quarantine them now.

The healthy amongst us need to go diving and book liveaboards.

Am I totally cracked?

It'll never happen in our politically correct societies.

cheers,
m

The full explanation is yet to be found, but Germany appears to report a number of deaths which is inexplicably low. Most people here think they are cheating
Definately not, as all and any deaths related to pneumonia or any other "flu like" symptoms are tested post mortem for corona, as well as all deaths where the deceased has not shown any symptoms but has had contact to a known infected person. We expect the death rate to start pickung up in the next days.

Also - look at Norway or Austria, they do have a similar low death rate at the moment.

Thanks Angelo for posting that article.

Here is the money quote:
"He focused on the need to protect the high-risk group of people by not exposing them in the first place."

Here is the second money quote:
"On Wednesday, Chancellor Angela Merkel had announced that it is likely that 60 to 70 per cent of the German population will get infected eventually and argued that it is important to delay that process as much as possible."

She is correct.

We collectively, should focus on quarantining the most vulnerable. The rest of us need to go about our lives and create herd immunization. Protect and keep vulnerable people from being infected and let our economies resume before a depression kills more than the virus itself. Anarchy is more dangerous than COVID-19. The vast majority of young people who have Wuhan, are asymptomatic. Which should be used to our collective benefit. The rest of us who are healthy will have to deal with cold like or flu like symptoms.

We are shutting down our economies in order to save the vulnerable. And they are dying anyway. Quarantine them now.

Am I totally cracked?

It'll never happen in our politically correct societies.

cheers,
m

Calling Covid-19 "Wuhan" is a sad attempt at a politically motivated statement. Gives away your true feelings. You must have earned that from Rush. Somehow you think that it transfers blame to the Chinese. Not our fault you know. Kinda sad and funny at the same time. Talk about making a nothing statement. Second time you've done that.

We were supposed to fly next week for Raja Ampat LoB trip. Two days ago flights got cancelled; airline offered to re-book on alternative route but that would put us in the quarantine during the stop over so not an option. Besides UK FCO advice is now against all but essential travel to Indonesia which means no travel insurance would cover us if we go.

LoB is non-refundable at this stage so we spent very nervous couple of days thinking the whole payment is lost. However the boat have just responded and they will let us re-book within next 3 (yes that's right 3!) years. And actually not just us but anyone booked departure in the next 6 months. Absolutely amazing of them and of course we hope we don't have to wait that long before coming there.

Good for you! Which liveaboard?

Assume for a moment that you have some diving scheduled in Indonesia next month. Also assume that by then you can still fly there and return. Given the current trends I highly doubt it, but anyway say you can make it there and back without problems.

Right now Indonesia is still kind of ok, but their response is very slow. Also, I am pretty sure that their health system can't handle much stress. With the current trends and given the high density of population, by next month they will probably have a lot of casualties (maybe 10s maybe 100s, maybe more per day).

Aside from any other health related risks, are you sure you want to be having "holidays" in a country where people bury their loved ones by 10s or 100s due to a virus brought in by tourists?? Will you be able to have "fun" ?

This is not personal. I just want to give another perspective.

Calling Covid-19 "Wuhan" is a sad attempt at a politically motivated statement. Gives away your true feelings. You must have earned that from Rush. Somehow you think that it transfers blame to the Chinese. Not our fault you know. Kinda sad and funny at the same time. Talk about making a nothing statement. Second time you've done that.
So if it is considered to be politicizing things to refer to them by their place of origin, what do you suggest we call Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, West Nile Virus, or Ebola? Each of these was named after their place of origin. I am not saying it is right to do this. I am not saying it is wrong. I am simply saying that this is not without precedent.

The rest of us who are healthy will have to deal with cold like or flu like symptoms.

Am I totally cracked?
If it was a normal flu, I would agree.
But here our hospitals are full of people of 20-30 years which require advanced life support, and at triage the choice is often about who better deserves to be saved...
It is true that for people below 40 the survival rate is close to 100%, BUT ONLY IF TREATED PROPERLY in high technology units. Almost 20% of young people are in this severe medical conditions.
Instead elderly people will probably die even if treated in intensive care units, and hence the choice is to use these units for youngsters.
But the system is already at the collapse, if more people get infected, EVEN YOUNGSTERS WILL BEGIN TO DIE, as it happened in China during the hotter days, which luckily enough are now gone, thanks to their severe measures zeroing the mobility of people.
Everyone must do whatever he can for slowing down the infection, so that the number of people simultaneously needing intensive care units does not exceed the number of available ones.
It is absolutely wrong to say people "get infected, you will survive". This is true only for 80% of them, the remaining 20% survives only if hospitalized in a high care unit, EVEN IF YOUNG.

So if it is considered to be politicizing things to refer to them by their place of origin, what do you suggest we call Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, West Nile Virus, or Ebola? Each of these was named after their place of origin. I am not saying it is right to do this. I am not saying it is wrong. I am simply saying that this is not without precedent.

It has a name. This is not in doubt. Perhaps you haven't heard? COVID-19. The virus is "severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
(SARS-CoV-2).

Calling it China Virus or Wuhan virus is a right-wing dog whistle.

My next liveboard trip is at end of May on French Polynesia Master. I’ll keep my ear open for any update from the liveaboard and United Airlines.

I already canceled my ski trip to Salt Lake City by end of March.

My office asked me to work from home starting today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom