Is Dacor junk??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's like anything else, some product will work better for some people than others.

Some like Fords, some Chevys.

Scubatooth once bubbled...

But have you seen an eagle swim?

im an eagle scout so i can argue this, the reason eagles soar is because they are the best and master of the sky

An Eagle Soars with the best because they have proven themselves to be the rest to all others around him [/B]

..and the Mares Abyss regs were either used by the Navy, or were designed to exceed Navy standards (I can't remember which...maybe it was both).

But then again, what the hell does the Navy know about diving, anyhows?

With regards to Dacor products, I own 2 Scuba Prg BC's and a
Dacor Rig that I bought maybe 7 yrs ago. The two Scuba Pros have become my back ups or lenders as I really like the way the Rig fits me. I have had it in the shallows below the surf line at the islands to in the arches at Clemente, In a few wrecks and anyway perhaps 250 dives or maybe its 350. I really dont keep track anymore but I did live on my own dive boat for 2 years and it was used a ton. It still works flawlessly. As for Mares products go, all of my fins are Mares and they have been used to the degree that the names are worn off and they still move water wonderfully. Dive it for while,, then dive it some more and it will be an easier decision as hindsight is usually 20/20.
Dive Safe...and often

with the Dacor Quantum regulator I had for years. I still have it if Mares hadn't broken their promise and stopped bailed on Dacor products.

Zeagle accepted my Quantum as a trade for a Flathead VI. I'll never buy anything from Mares.

I've got 2 Eagle Pro DPD's and 1 Scubapro MK25/S600 I can't tell the difference in how they breath all the way to 100 fsw. I also have an IST R10 which breathes just as good as the others (a little wetter upside down though:D ).

IMHO all of the above are great regs although the Scubapro is the easiest to get serviced.:)

biscuit7 once bubbled in the thread on octo for scubapro...
Re: Dacor Viper
During my open water pool sessions, my buddy has his pretty much fall apart and start delivering him water instead of air. After seeing that I don't think I would dive with a buddy who had one as an octo. I would consider that he/she was diving without one.
Rachel

OTOH, I'm used mine for 2 years, 200+ dives, including an occasional dive where I would use it as primary, and it has performed flawlessly.

Obviously, YMMV.

Charlie

One consideration that would be worthwhile to many traveling divers is how far and wide can you go and still find parts and service? If your reg. starts making funny noises or worse, while you're dunking off the shores of Bora-Bora, is there any one on the island who has parts for your new Lexus equipment? Good luck! Based on what I've learned over the years, it seems that Aqua-Lung and Scubapro are about the most widely represented brands in far off places. And both of these are highly regarded by their users and the press. Dacor did have a run of poor quality for a short period, But so did Chrysler. Things are better now for both I believe. One last thing, A diver would do well to read and understand the product warranties of any item before buying.

My first regulator was a Dacor Olyimpic 100 and I really liked it. My current reg is a Dacor Viper. It has a cold weather kit installed and has performed flawlessly. It has been down 135 feet in thirty five degree water. Its done ice dives. Its been on many wreck dives in lake Michigan in very cold water. Its been though many shore dives going through the surf.
I took it down to Mrytle Beach and dove in the atlantic with it. The locals said the water was cold. Heck it was sixty two. Anyway based on the Dacor equipment I have OWNED and USED I would say it is in fact quality equipment and I would buy it again without giving it another thought.

Jim

I can't speak specifically for Dacor, but since Dacor and Mares are the same company, I can speak for Mares.

I was on a dive trip last year with 8 other divers. We had 2 equipment failures - both were free-flowing Mares 1st stages. Scary.

And then my friend's Mares Ruby regulator has gone out on her twice now in the 3 years that she has owned it (once it free-flowed). And she goes on 2 dive trips per year with an annual service each year, so it is not being abused.

Lastly, the "remote" dive shops that I have been to have said very bad things about Mares/Dacor regulators. They tell me that they are very odd and require special tools. Oceanic, Scubapro, and other brands don't and are easier to fix. When I was in the Bay Islands off Honduras, one of the dive masters our boat could not find a local dive shop that could fix her Dacor regulator. So she ended up renting another regulator until parts could be special-ordered. Had she been in a large city in the USA, she could have found somebody to fix the regulator no problem. But in remote areas -- that's a different story.

So although my experience is far from "scientific", I've seen enough negative about the Mares line of products to warrant concern. And since Mares is Dacor, I would stay away from that brand as well. At least with regulators.

For regulators, stick with Scubapro, Oceanic, Atomic, Sherwood, or Apeks products. For BC's, go with Scubapro, Seaquest, Oceanic, Sherwood, or DiveRite. And with computers, check out Aeris, Oceanic, Suunto, or Sherwood. They are all better brands at equivalent prices to Mares/Dacor. And they all should be easier to service.

Of course, this is all my humble opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom