IS DAN a good idea? has anyone ever used it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Hamburg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know its cheep and $75 a year would buy peace of mind. Many "specialty" insurance/warranty services are redundant rip offs. I think DAN sounds like a good idea, what do you think?

We have DAN insurance. I've only known one person who actually used it after being bent. I think DAN is terrific, but I don't think it was God's idea.

You'll find that a LOT of divers are DAN members, and most of those buy the optional insurance. If, in asking whether anyone has ever "used it," you mean made a claim, I have not. Of those who have made claims, the people who have been satisfied with DAN's performance seem to greatly outnumber the people who have not been. But I don't know of any customer satisfaction survey other than asking for anecdotes as you are here. My opinion comes from just such anecdotes plus what DAN self-servingly publishes in its member magazine.

As far as I know, there is nothing out there that is comparable to DAN's expertise and hotline, so it isn't as though you have a lot of choices if you are seeking that "peace of mind."

I have used it, and I've known many others who have also. Comes with owning a dive boat, unfortunately. Like other specialty insurance, you have to read the fine print, and they are a secondary insurer. They will pick up your deductible, copay, 20%, all that stuff, but you have to follow their rules.

I have used it (chamber ride) and a buddy of mine used it (broke her hand on a dive boat ladder). Worked fine.

If you are a scuba diver, you might agree that $75/year is a fairly small percentage of general diving expenditures, so I wouldn't overthink this. Best case scenario is that you pay them $75 a year for the rest of your diving life and never use it.

IMO, for most divers dive insurance (like DAN or Diveassure) falls under the category of "just do it." The only time I would say it may be optional, is if you don't travel to dive and are SURE your health insurance would cover hyperbaric treatment (which is not always the case, and sometimes hard to get a straight answer on.) Even then, I'd still probably just do it.

You would be silly not to join DAN. The cost of their top insurance is less than the co-payments you will most likely encounter should you take a hit and need HBOT.

Regardless of whether your primary health insurance covers HBOT for DCS (they most likely do), DAN insurance would cover HBOT as a secondary insurance carrier.

There are other dive insurance companies out there, but they provide insurance only. DAN has been committed to dive safety, research, and education for decades.

Dive safely and hopefully you will never need to use their insurance.

I am not one to usually buy additional insurance or warranties etc. But I do have DAN. I have not had to use it, knock on wood. But have several friends who have taken chamber rides on DAN's dime. The average MD and insurance company know very little abut DCS it's nice to know that there are professionals who specialize in this awaiting my call for a mere $75 a year. For the cost of one two tank boat ride i know that a phone call with the right symptoms can get me into a chamber quickly when time counts.

I would merely type "yes" but the system requires that posts have at least 5 characters, so I guess I can't reply. Oh well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom