Is DUI really the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GatorJoe

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i am about to buy some dry suits for myself and my wife. i been looking around. i don't know too much about what i should be looking for. when it's been warm, we dive about 3-4 times a month (at least 2 tanks each dive). during the winter that goes down to practically never as we've only had wetsuits. we enjoy wreck diving and we may start doing some crabbing. we're in the seattle area so we dive in cold water. ive asked around and most people ive talked to said DUI is the best and some people have said you pay a lot for the name and u can find other brands that are just as good?

so why should i buy DUI? i like having the best stuff. i dont like to blindly waste money though if something else is just as good that is cheaper....

I have a Pinnacle Evo2 which was alot cheaper. Its been dragged across reefs, against old steel wrecks, jumped off boats, been worn topside as protection during storms, folded into the back of a van for a long drive home, thrown onto a clothes line and sprayed with a hose etc etc.

When I use the scooter I have never had air gather in my boots or legs and I dont use gaitors or any straps either.

No visible wear, super tough skin, keeps me warm and dry and generally does what a dry suit is supposed to do. Valve drills are a little tough but my buddy diving a brand new DUI two days ago had the same issues and wasnt any faster than I was doing the drills.

Mine wasnt as expensive as a DUI but so far has done everything it is supposed to do. I would buy it again.

I have 2 DUI TLS 350's (trilaminates) & am very happy with them. They are custom fitted to me which makes it even better for me, as I am hard to fit for "off the rack" sizes, but it is a bit more $. There are a few different types of drysuits & they all have their pro's & con's. Fit & comfort should be the #1 on thing to look for ina a suit that will be durable enough for the type of diving you & your spouse want to do. I would suggest trying several types out, if you can with rentals or by maybe attending one of the drysuit manufacturer's Demo Days, if there is one near your locale to let you "test drive" some different models. Here is a comaprison of the differnt types of suits.

Tri- laminate: Pro's- lightweight, less expensive, dries quickly, generally neutrally buoyant (buoyancy is more dependant on undergarments worn).
Cons- No inherent insulation of its own, not quite a durable as other types of drysuits.
Crushed neoprene: Pro's- some more insulation than the tri- laminate (thus less to wear underneath), somewhat more flexible, The most durable durable .
Cons- The most expensive type of drysuit, some positive buoyancy (more weight), Slower to dry out.
Neoprene: Pro's- More durable than tri- laminate, Less expensive than the crushed neoprene, The most inherent insulation (even less undergarments to wear), If flooded, basically just becomes a wetsuit, the most flexible.
Cons- The most buoyant of all the drysuit types (lots more weight), can take a long time to dry out, more expensive than a tri- laminate, but less than a crushed neoprene, rather heavy weight.

Drysuits are a big investment of your diving dollars, but can be worth the price if you find a good suit that fits your needs.

My G/F and I bought Bare trilam HD-Tech Dry suits. I was doing alot of comparing between the DUI and Bare. Ultimatly we chose the bare over the DUI. The DUI is a great suit and felt very comfortable. But for me I like the More rugged look and feel of the bare. Bare has been around forever and they are not going anywhere. Also over lifetime warranty on seams/Workmanship. Also include standard things that cost's extra for the DUI and Have a lot of stock sizes so less of a chance needing a custom suit. All in all loaded with 2 lg pockets and suspenders we also saved close 1,000 by going with the Bare. We both are very happy with out suits owned them over a year with no complaints. Good luck

I love my CLX450. Great fit for me in an off-the-shelf model. The service from DUI is excellent. The reenforced the crotch for me this fall and I hope to get many more years of diving from this suit.

My dive instructor just bought a new CLX450 in a large size with a relief zipper. He has increased his chest size this Fall and he cannot get out of the suit by himself. He offered the suit to me for a very reasonable amount. I don't believe it has been wet.

If you are interested, I will get more information e.g. pockets, etc.

Hi GatorJoe,

We will be having two DOG Rally & Demo Tours in your area. (http://www.dui-online.com/dog_main.html) They are:

August 20-22
Newport, OR
Oregon Coast Aquarium

August 28-29*
Seattle, WA
Seattle, WA Mukilteo Lighthouse Park

I mention the Oregon Coast Aquarium Event because you might want to dive in the Aquarium. The cost is a bit more - all proceeds go to support the Aquarium.

The DOG Rally Events will give you first hand experience in our products. It will also help you answer questions of sizing. For example - fitting or not fitting into a stock sized drysuit, experience with DUI ZipSeals, etc.,.

If you have questions that come up in your search please let us know.

Thanks,

Kathy

Is there a "best" drysuit? Probably not. Are there some bad suits out there? Probably. Are DUI suits well made? Yes. Are other suits well made? Yes.

The real question you need to ask is "What is the right suit for me?" The answer to that is, "It depends."

One thing on which it should NOT depend is, "What suits does 'my' shop sell?" No shop sells all the different brands, and types, of suits and they are different.

Before you buy you need to ask yourself a series of questions to define the parameters for your search:

a. What body shape am I? That may well define whether you need a custom suit (which can be very tricky because they often don't come out quite right!) or you can buy a "stock" suit.

b. What type of diving am I going to be doing? As a new diver, you probably don't really know the answer to that yet. Indeed, diving habits evolve with time, training and experience.

c. Where am I going to be diving? You live in the Seattle area so you will probably be diving a lot in the Sound so you will probably want things like dry gloves and maybe a p-valve (especially since you say you typically do 2 dives). What will be most important is NOT the suit itself (tri-lam, bi-lam, compressed/crushed neo, etc.) but the undergarment. Is the combination of undergarment and suit flexible enough for you to be comfortable and SAFE (that is, will you be able to reach everything you need to reach once all suited up)?

c. Since you will be getting two suits, one for you and one for your wife, is it possible you will want to be able to use each other's suits? DEPENDING on your sizes, that is possible -- my suit is my wife's backup suit and I'm 50+ pounds and 4+ inches on her.

My wife and I have gone through a number of suits, second hand, custom made, off the shelf, from a number of manufacturers and I think I can safely say, there is no best suit. Each one is a compromise.

That written, I would highly suggest you look into the White's Fusion -- depending on your and/or your wife's body size. I've come to believe they should be the primary rental suit for a shop for the following reasons:

a. Wide range of fit per suit due to their design. As long as you do fit their general body shape, the design makes the suit a "custom" fit once it is on.

b. Ease of use due to their design with the outer layer of Lycra (or neoprene). Perhaps the biggest issue with learning a dry suit is learning how to "manage the bubble" which is what keeps you warm. The outer layer does a very nice job of smoothing out the bubble and appears to make it much easier to dive than just about any other suit design.

c. It is a good suit for multiple uses -- cold water, medium water, warm water -- and it travels very well due to it's very light weight and quick drying material. I'm in Maui right now and diving a 5mm wetsuit but my wife has brought her Fusion and keeps bragging how she is dry and warm at the end of the dive while I'm trying to towel off and thinking about getting into a hot car with a wet bathing suit.

BTW, I also have a Fusion but it is my backup suit -- my primary suit is a Bare compressed neo with a neoprene neckseal. I love neoprene neck seals!

My DUI CLX 450 is the best suit - For Me. It may not be the best suit for you. I got mine for the same price as most other suits since it was used but barely dived. It was custom made for that lady that had it and fits me as though my measurements were used. I doubt I would have purchased the suit if I would have had to pay full price.

While your head is spinning trying to figure out the "best" (at least for you), check out a small, custom drysuit company in your next of the woods that specializes in drysuits for colder water. High Tide, in Port Orchard. Home

I just got one and love it. It's a compressed (not crushed) neoprene suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom