Question about drysuit alterations and repairs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
N

nradkins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all! I recently just bought a used DUI CF200 drysuit for $210(tax and shipping included in the price) which is an insanely good deal!!! I am extremely happy with the price I paid for it, since I know that new DUI suits are >$3,000. However, I tried to put it on multiple times, and the suit just does not fit me, and this is without any real undergarments on. I think it might fit me better if I lost some weight which I am planning on doing, but there are some parts of the suit which seem to be too big, or too small for my general build. Here is a short list of some alterations I would need to have done if I wanted to actually dive this suit:

1)Shorten the leg length

2)Widen the hips a little bit

3)Make the chest circumference a bit bigger

does anyone have any idea to the feasibility and/or price of these alterations, or is it a fool's errand to try to do this? For reference, the DUI suit is a stock medium, and I am 5'6" and 180ish, and also pretty broad in the shoulders. My thoughts is that although it will be expensive I am sure, if it is cheaper by a mile to do the alterations vs. buy a new custom suit, I would like to do that to save a bit of money. I will be contacting multiple shops tomorrow to inquire, but I wanted to ask the scuba community in case anyone had any preliminary thoughts. Thanks!

You won't be able to extend the chest circumference. This is a show stopper right there.

Sell and get a made to measure (MTM) suit. Seaskin is a good affordable alternative. Then look at any other suit manufacturer that allows MTM. Your local dive store may carry some brands that allow MTM.
If you don't get an MTM suit, you'll be back here with questions like "Why are my feet floaty?" or "Why do I need so much lead with my new dry suit."

Your drysuit should fit you sort of like a slightly loose-ish wet suit provided that you properly sized undergarments.

Back
Top Bottom