Votes: 19 46.3%
  • DUI FLX Extreme

Votes: 4 9.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Santi E.lite+

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a reason? Mainly cost? And is it as durable as the suits double its cost?
I'll get on my soap box. There are two suits worth buying: Seaskin and SF Tech. Everything in the middle is a creative marketing exercise. Seaskin has quite a following here and while I have not dove those suits, I know people who have and I've inspected the suits in person. They're the most unbelievable value for what you pay.

SF Tech will run you 4x that price but no DUI, Santi, Waterproof, and other mid-market players will get to the quality of a custom-made Swiss suit.

I'll get on my soap box. There are two suits worth buying: Seaskin and SF Tech. Everything in the middle is a creative marketing exercise. Seaskin has quite a following here and while I have not dove those suits, I know people who have and I've inspected the suits in person. They're the most unbelievable value for what you pay.

SF Tech will run you 4x that price but no DUI, Santi, Waterproof, and other mid-market players will get to the quality of a custom-made Swiss suit.
I wouldn't call Santi 'mid-market' anymore.
Compared to the ridiculous prices of something like an Santi Elite plus in the US, a SF isn't much more and it's custom. Looks like an Elite plus is 3.5 grand plus tax with no extras. Once you add a p-valve and stuff you're pretty close to 4 grand... which is what a SF tech is. Of course it's not an option for the followers or DIR as the SF 'trimlaminat' suits are also made from compressed neoprene and that's a no-no 😅.

I wouldn't call Santi 'mid-market' anymore.
Compared to the ridiculous prices of something like an Santi Elite plus in the US, a SF isn't much more and it's custom. Looks like an Elite plus is 3.5 grand plus tax with no extras. Once you add a p-valve and stuff you're pretty close to 4 grand... which is what a SF tech is. Of course it's not an option for the followers or DIR as the SF 'trimlaminat' suits are also made from compressed neoprene and that's a no-no 😅.
I agreed. I priced out Santi Elite to 3.7K USD including tax. I paid 4K for a fully custom made SF Tech shipped to my house. The math behind this decision is really simple.

A see that Elite+ got the most votes... I wonder whether it's just people who have one or if there is any reasoning behind it. You can get 1 mtm seaskin and 2 spare mtm seaskins for the price of one Elite+.

I’m also curious, since no one has really commented about the suit. It’s also strange to me that you don’t really hear about Seaskin outside of SB. I wonder why that is. Seaskin seems like one of those things where the price seems too good to be true, so it makes me cautious LOL

I’m also curious, since no one has really commented about the suit. It’s also strange to me that you don’t really hear about Seaskin outside of SB. I wonder why that is. Seaskin seems like one of those things where the price seems too good to be true, so it makes me cautious LOL
Once everyone knows about Seaskin they lose something, maybe the wait time will increase or they will go cheap on materials, if you have 4K to spend on a dry suit, buy a Seaskin, then buy a second one and than take the extra 2k and go someplace warm to dive while you wait.

Lack of advertising is why Seaskin isn't seen much outside of SB. UK has a pretty big following and they have a 3 month lead time on building these so there is plenty is suits being built. Most divers don't look beyond their LDS or instructors recommendations for gear because they just don't know any better. LDS carry DUI, Bare and Appolo (budget suit) and sell you what they can.

I've seen 5 or 6 other Seaskin out here in the Puget Sound area and only 2 of them knew about scubaboard.

It's an insider tip. Most people don't know about seaskin. They're a small manufacturer that doesn't really advertise.
A lot of fancy brands like Santi have special deals for instructors and 'influencers' so you see alot of their stuff online and it sells well. If you took out what the dealer and distributor makes and the marketing budget, a DUI, Santi or whatever would be about the same price as a seaskin. Santis used to be a 1000 bucks too, but retail. They started out by copying DUI suits.

That makes a lot of sense. I also see that their undergarments are also an awesome price, does anyone have and use those? I tend to be okay down to 55degrees in my 7mm, should I just get the 150 if I mostly dive in that range? Or is the 250 necessary?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom