Votes: 19 46.3%
  • DUI FLX Extreme

Votes: 4 9.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Santi E.lite+

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheBeepBoop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey Folks,

I am currently in the market for my first drysuit, and wanted some opinions. Since this is something I am saving up for, I have a wide variety of prices listed. I am mostly wondering if it would be worth it to take a bit longer to save up more for the DUI or Santi, or go with something more midrange like the Ursuit and Avatar, or budget like Seaskin. I dive in SoCal water 100% of the time right now, though I do want to take more trips and eventually in a couple years start getting into cave diving.

Money is definitely something I am worried about, but I know I can save up enough with time, I basically want this to be my one drysuit for many many years, before I upgrade or switch. Any opinions are appreciated, thank you!

Edit: Really quick the other reason I am not fully sold on Seaskin, is because of Service, If I did need to have it serviced, sending it back all the way to the UK does not sound ideal to me. As where I know local dealers around me for the other suits.

Ultimately, the dry suit you will love will be the one that fits you well. This, rather than any brand loyalty, is really the most important consideration. Also important is considering durability for the frequency and type of diving you will be doing. You don't provide a timeline on your purchase and if you are not in a hurry, there are many, many threads in this space about first time dry suit purchases.

Ultimately, the dry suit you will love will be the one that fits you well. This, rather than any brand loyalty, is really the most important consideration. Also important is considering durability for the frequency and type of diving you will be doing. You don't provide a timeline on your purchase and if you are not in a hurry, there are many, many threads in this space about first time dry suit purchases.

Durability is definitely the main factor I am considering, I would like this drysuit to be able to go with me into caves when I get there. And in terms of timeline, I’m hoping to buy in the next couple months, but am willing to save for longer if that means a obviously superior suit.

Seaskin - no brainer out of the choices you've listed.

I own a one Endurace. Got ~350 dives on it. As much as I do like the suit, the seams have been an issue since it was almost new. Roughly 50% of the seams are currently aquasured.

Can't comment on the others, but I know about people with 300 dives on Santi E.lite planning on retiring it, so I'd definitly not put in the extra money required for those..

Yeah, there are plenty of businesses that do repair/service in the US. No need to send overseas. Even if you get a dry suit manufactured in the US, you may have better options of having one of these businesses work on your dry suit.

EDIT: Before making your buying decision, contact different businesses that would service the dry suit(s) you are interested in. That may you narrow it down.

Word on the street is that Santi's quality has gone way down while prices have gone way up. A couple of former Santi fans I know have switched or want to switch to Rofos. Seaskin is the best value though.

And is it as durable as the suits double its cost?
Seaskin is direct to consumer and appears to have zero marketing budget. That why they're cheaper.
When a Santi suit gets sold, the dealer (and the distributer) makes money and has a marketing budget higher than zero.
Santi also yanks up the price when they sell in the US. Their stuff is quite a bit cheaper in Euro land. I would definitely not buy any Santi product in the US (and wont buy more of their stuff here either).
There is some 'DIR brand' tax on them too, I reckon.

I've had drysuits from Poseiden, DUI, USIA, Diving Concepts, and Waterproof. As far as bulletproof, the Waterproof suits I've had have been the best. They are tough but light with user-replaceable wrist and neck seals. They're more expensive, but they last a lot of dives. I always have mine repaired at Superior Diving in Minnesota.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom