Is east or west better Grand Cayman diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of great info so far, here's my $.02

The grocery on the east end is only a few hundred yards from the Reef Resort. While a little smaller then the closest big store, we found everything we really needed (we were there 5 nights). The package store at the Reef is also on the small side but had enough selection of beer/rum to keep most folks happy.

If you're pickier or want bigger selection, there's a much larger grocery on the south side (past Boddentown back towards the airport) where we stopped on our way back form the obligatory trip to Hell. Great selection of fresh fish, and a large liquor store next door.

East End diving was spectactular. With only 2 Ops out there, many sites don't see but 2 to 4 visits a week, some less. Didn't dive the west but hear there is some cool stuff on that side, but i'd much rather stay on the quiet side and maybe drive over one day for afternoon beach diving/dinner.

I'm checking out places to stay in Grand Cayman for a trip in July. Do you recommend staying at Sunset House or just diving there? Thanks.

I think it only makes sense to dive at Sunset House if you are staying there, because of the convenience. Otherwise there's better shore diving sites and better boat dive operators.

Personally I don't stay there anymore, because I think there are nicer/better places to stay and dive. It depends what you want. I would say it does still have the most convenient all around setup of shore and boat diving in one location on GC.

I think it only makes sense to dive at Sunset House if you are staying there, because of the convenience. Otherwise there's better shore diving sites and better boat dive operators.

Personally I don't stay there anymore, because I think there are nicer/better places to stay and dive. It depends what you want. I would say it does still have the most convenient all around setup of shore and boat diving in one location on GC.

Thank you. I have been looking online but the choices are overwhelming. Would prefer to book a combination stay/dive package if possible. I have heard good things about Cobalt Coast and Dive Tech but I'm wondering if the diving choices will be limited there and just how far off the beaten track it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you like the idea of a package to just book and pay one thing? You can probably find all sorts of package options around, but booking 2 things is little more trouble than one and well worth it to get exactly what you want. There are a number of smaller dive operators that many people prefer, they will pick you up and probably offer more service than the bigger ones if you want that. Or are you out for a deal - sometimes packages will get you a deal but there are deals all over the place right now. Or are you really mostly interested in having everything located in one place?

Not sure what you mean by limited dive choices. DiveTech covers mostly an entirely different set of sites than Sunset House because of their location, but they are generally better sites. They dive mostly the North wall. If it's too rough, they will dive the more northern sites on the west wall. Sunset House dives mostly the West wall, sites which tend to be crowded and have been heavily dove for many years. Sometimes they dive sites on the south side which are pretty nice.

I don't think the shore diving at Cobalt Coast is that great either but for other reasons. It's a long swim to some reef that IMO isn't really worth the swim. It is basically on the North Wall, and is a good dive once you get there, but it's an even longer swim. So it's another place I wouldn't bother shore diving if I weren't staying there, and don't even do it much if I am. And because you're exposed to the north, you might find yourself getting blown out in the winter or even other times. Used to be DiveTech had a shop at a place nearby called Turtle Reef, which was an excellent shore dive. It wouldn't be part of your package now, but it's still worth going and renting tanks from the new op. DiveTech instead moved further down the road to a new set of condos they are building called Lighthouse Point. I haven't had the opportunity to dive there but other people have posted about the diving there if you search.

Another thing about Cobalt Coast, is that while Divetech has a shop there and the pictures show a dock, boats don't necessarily leave from there - I think only in the summer when it's calmest. Or so I'm told, as in several trips there I have never once gotten on the boat there. Instead you toss your gear in a truck which they park next to the dive lockers, and they take you by van to whichever dock they are leaving from. It depends where they are diving that day.

But Cobalt Coast is very nice, food is good, and the owner is great. I think the location is great. Nice and quiet, away from the zoo but a short drive to visit it. Is best to rent a car if staying there.

Diving with Ocean Frontiers on the East End is great, you can get a condo/car/dive package at Compass Point where they are located and their boats leave from there. No shore diving there, but as far as I'm concerned any shore diving you do on Grand Cayman is gravy but not the main reason to be there. East End is off the beaten path, but to me that's not a bad thing except it would be nice to be closer to more restaurants.

I don't think the shore diving at Cobalt Coast is that great either but for other reasons. It's a long swim to some reef that IMO isn't really worth the swim. It is basically on the North Wall, and is a good dive once you get there, but it's an even longer swim.

Completely disagree. Both the miniwall & the main wall at Cobalt Coast are fine dives & the surface swim to either cannot be described as long (5 mins to the miniwall; 10-15 to the main wall). Stay there & you can shore dive from your resort.

Completely disagree. Both the miniwall & the main wall at Cobalt Coast are fine dives & the surface swim to either cannot be described as long (5 mins to the miniwall; 10-15 to the main wall). Stay there & you can shore dive from your resort.

But it's often blown out.

Winds are likely to be from the south in July meaning the north (Cobalt Coast) would be diveable from shore.

We've stopped by CC more than once in July and had them tell us "the pool is closed today". With waves over topping the dock, we could understand why. But then, maybe we were just unlucky.

Back
Top Bottom