Question Is El Dorado/Dauin open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, or at least El Dorado was not open a few weeks ago in April when we were there. Too bad. We liked the resort, and stayed there a couple of times. Really nice staff, and quirky cool rooms. The resort itself is shuttered, and I saw no signs of activity from the water when we dove the house reef. I thought I had a picture I took of it from the dive boat, but can't find it now.

What I was told by locals is that when the resort was built, there were some "special exceptions" made to a setback and/or environmental policy. As you may remember, the restaurant and a couple of rooms were very close to the water. Anyway, at some point - possibly during COVID, but it depended on who I asked - the authorities currently in charge made it clear that they could not reopen without meeting the environmental requirements in full. This rumor goes on to say that it may be very difficult and expensive for that work to be done in any sort of cost effective way. Locals do describe it as "Not yet open", rather than "Closed" or "Out of business", so who knows? Maybe that is a good sign, and means something is in process behind the scenes.

No, or at least El Dorado was not open a few weeks ago in April when we were there. Too bad. We liked the resort, and stayed there a couple of times. Really nice staff, and quirky cool rooms. The resort itself is shuttered, and I saw no signs of activity from the water when we dove the house reef. I thought I had a picture I took of it from the dive boat, but can't find it now.

What I was told by locals is that when the resort was built, there were some "special exceptions" made to a setback and/or environmental policy. As you may remember, the restaurant and a couple of rooms were very close to the water. Anyway, at some point - possibly during COVID, but it depended on who I asked - the authorities currently in charge made it clear that they could not reopen without meeting the environmental requirements in full. This rumor goes on to say that it may be very difficult and expensive for that work to be done in any sort of cost effective way. Locals do describe it as "Not yet open", rather than "Closed" or "Out of business", so who knows? Maybe that is a good sign, and means something is in process behind the scenes.
Thanks for the update.
That's too bad.
I stayed there 2 or 3 times and enjoyed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom